malathion mishap

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwester

Reaction score
so i doused my greenhouse with malathion to nuke some nasty mealies today. I started to feel a bit funny so i checked my gas mask and it had the dust cartridge in it instead of the one i needed. managed to get out of the greenhouse, fell over and puked. needless to say i dont feel so well, but neither do the mealies :)

Damn Blake. You should go to a hospital. Thats nasty stuff, and it sounds like you got a lot of it.

- Matt

Yuck, Blake! Are you an accident waiting to happen, or what?? You remind me of my husband who I affectionately have nicknamed the "spaz". Maybe I should call you spaz jr.

I never heard of cinnamon beer... what will they think of next?
In any case the beer must have worked because you seem quite like yourself. (I started to say normal but caught the error.)
:rollhappy:

Don't worry about the malathion, in the old days it was not even hazardous.

Heather, you know we get sidetracked here.
I sprayed my randsiis, that counts.

LMAO! Hahaha....

I have to say though, I'm having a bit of deja vu....how many threads do we have going about this subject now? And does any of it have to do with Brian's randsii??:confused:

I thought it was agreed that Dragon's Blood would save his plant?
:evil:
And I'm not sure but I think this thread is about Blake getting sick drinking beer? So Heather you are lost along with us.

On a more serious note, Malathion is an organo-phosphate. Functions as a neurotoxin in bugs. In humans that numbness in the mouth and weird taste are due to the malathion attacking the nerves. (I know from experience) Please do not drink ANY alcoholic beverages for 24 hours after dosing yourself with malathion or you may end up with further toxicity problems. Generally considered a fairly safe chemical, it will leave you with a nasty headache. - It can kill if really overdosed. If you over-dosed to the point where you start vomiting or have a blinding headache, get to your local hospital.
. Generally when spraying you should always wear gloves and long clothing. A respriator rated for organic vapors is a good idea. Change clothes and shower immediately after spraying to get the pesticide off your skin. Do not re-wear the clothes until after they have been laundered.
. Please use common sense with these chemicals, you can accidentally hurt yourself or others if you get careless with them. Always read the labels and check your safety gear.
Leo

Wouldnt have happened if I hadnt decided to do it on my lunch break. I normally and extremely cautious. Luckily, my exhaust fan is way over-sized for my greenhouse, so it got diluted quite a bit.

Thats an awesome link... my favorite is:

Kidney Failure After Man Sprays Malathion in Home
SOURCE: Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), Vol.250, No.18, Nov. 11, 1983

Keep posting on the forum on a regular basis, Blake. If you don't post for a few days, I'll call the police to go find your body.

- Matt

Latest posts

Back