Magic Lantern

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This ML is indeed beautiful. Good color and shape. Indeed pointable in my books.

As for your experience Fred, it is unfortunate. It should have been compared to a dunkle if both parents were dunkles. If one parent is type form, then the type form will be considered in the assessment. I hope you bring it in on a next great blooming and state on the form that it is a dunkle and underline it twice LOL.

I have had many personal plants passed the first time for an award for reasons you stated. Judges are humans and sometimes do make mistakes now and then (to err is human). This of course upsets many people and stops them from showing again. However, I don't give up. Nor should you. I reshow my plants on the next blooming when the flowers are bigger and showier, and 80% of the time it gets an award. Lesson? To forgive is divine (and persevere in your quest!).

BTW those parents to cross with are exceptional. Do it Fred!

Sam has some big dunkel flowers. I don’t know the names because delenatii hasn’t been my thing (I like them but find them moody and haven’t managed to bloom one of the new ones) but I did note the flowers as impressive. Not sure if pure selects or a result of his stellar work. Never really seen anything like his facility and the majesty overwhelmed me.

Sam has some big dunkel flowers. I don’t know the names because delenatii hasn’t been my thing (I like them but find them moody and haven’t managed to bloom one of the new ones) but I did note the flowers as impressive. Not sure if pure selects or a result of his stellar work. Never really seen anything like his facility and the majesty overwhelmed me.

He has made one with dunkel and standard type in the hope that some will come out like a large dunekl since dunkels are typically smaller and not as full as the standard variety. I wasn't into delenatii but it grew on me. I love their leaves and they are about the easiest and the most reliable among the parvis. You might have gotten a weak plant. It is at least a possibility.
I love this hybrid a lot. It is a great grower & bloomer in my experience.

Now, if you are thinking of crossing those two in the pictures, I would say go for it.
Micranthum can help out filling the gap in overall fullness of the flower as well as the size.
You can't go wrong with Magic Lantern, and I really like those two flowers.
My Magic Lantern above isn't small compared to others I have seen.
Well... the micranthum pollen was no longer good. I used pollen from this. The pollen wasn’t perfect either so I hope it takes
54A855B4-B0D0-4718-9D46-70816A2943C4.jpeg

Well... the micranthum pollen was no longer good. I used pollen from this. The pollen wasn’t perfect either so I hope it takes
View attachment 19469
How do you know the pollen wasn't good?? Did it get moldy?
So, did you put pollen from this flower on your delenatii? I have made a cross between delenatii and a vini maudiae type, and the leaves on the seedlings are gorgeous as expected!! :)

An exciting update!
Three new growths bursting out of this plant now. Yay!!

0r3OF5Rl.jpg

I can see the pic, now twice lol.
3 growths!!! Yayyyy...

Fred... Nice PS! Shape and colour good. It wa

Waterboarding is an interesting comparison with holding your breaths while your plants are stripped, prodded and interrogated by a panel of strangers. Yup, I’ve never experienced WB, but can just imagine. Yet the feeling after when the plants get an award is quite a high lol

This ML is indeed beautiful. Good color and shape. Indeed pointable in my books.

As for your experience Fred, it is unfortunate. It should have been compared to a dunkle if both parents were dunkles. If one parent is type form, then the type form will be considered in the assessment. I hope you bring it in on a next great blooming and state on the form that it is a dunkle and underline it twice LOL.

I have had many personal plants passed the first time for an award for reasons you stated. Judges are humans and sometimes do make mistakes now and then (to err is human). This of course upsets many people and stops them from showing again. However, I don't give up. Nor should you. I reshow my plants on the next blooming when the flowers are bigger and showier, and 80% of the time it gets an award. Lesson? To forgive is divine (and persevere in your quest!).

BTW those parents to cross with are exceptional. Do it Fred!

loved this part...

"Judges are humans and ..."

There's an entire thread there for sure... :)

Initially the image didn't pop up and later it did. I don't know what happened. Now I can't delete it. I remember there used to a delete button but can't find it now.

How do you know the pollen wasn't good?? Did it get moldy?
So, did you put pollen from this flower on your delenatii? I have made a cross between delenatii and a vini maudiae type, and the leaves on the seedlings are gorgeous as expected!! :)
I used one pollen on a regular color delenatii a couple months ago. The pollen didn’t look good then and the flower and capsule fell off that plant together. I didn’t want to risk missing a cross with this vinicolor. I didn’t breed it last year because I was Brigitte to judging.

Latest posts

Back