Macadamia shells as substrate

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spes1959

Reaction score
Hi everybody I have recently seen videos of brasilian growers of Walkerian Cattleya recommending Macadamia shells as a culture substrate. Do any of you use it? And where can you buy it? thank you

Anything can be used as a substrate, if you adjust your growing to accommodate it.

Macadamias are native to Australia, but are commercially cultivated in Hawaii, and apparently places in Brazil. The nut shell is apparently quite hard, so might be a reasonable substrate ingredient.

I am not aware that anyone is selling the shells for horticultural use; most are ground up to make particleboard or ground and made into activated charcoal for filtration.

Anything can be used as a substrate, if you adjust your growing to accommodate it.

Macadamias are native to Australia, but are commercially cultivated in Hawaii, and apparently places in Brazil. The nut shell is apparently quite hard, so might be a reasonable substrate ingredient.

I am not aware that anyone is selling the shells for horticultural use; most are ground up to make particleboard or ground and made into activated charcoal for filtration.
Thanks Ray you are very kind

Back