Ma Belle

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
This is in bloom again! :)

It flowered for the first time early spring of last year. It had an extra bud, which did not make it. The flower lasted for one month or so.
A new fan took forever to show up. I think around May. I honestly thought it was slowly dying with no roots.

It steadily grew and now in bloom for the second time. I like it better this time! :)
There is no new growth, so it is still a slow grower.

I notice quite bit of difference this time.
The size, natural spread, went from 9 to 11cm, quite large this time.
The dorsal, petals are all much bigger and fuller, although petals are all crumbly.
The markings are in different patterns also.
No deformity on the staminode, either.

I saved a pollen of a nice bellatulum, and plan on using it on this guy.

W8vCjp4l.jpg

aHnLWcDl.jpg

Compare with the first bloom Feb 2015.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36542

A little background info.

I bought this from Park Side, ah~ I miss them!
The plant is still in the original 3.75 plastic pot with chunky perlite and orchiata.

I had it by southwindow with sheer curtain the whole time with me, until April this year, I had it under T8 set up. 4 4ft tubes with distance of about 12in from the light. The plant showed bleaching in just ten days.
I moved it back to the window for a month, then placed it back under the light but with more distance from the light. Newer leaves are still slightly bleached.

Nice. I killed mine but would love to get another. Thanks for sharing.

Stop watering every five hours!!! :p

I have one seedling but it is not a good one. I got a crappy one. :(
Let's put in an order with Cloud's Orchids next spring when the weather gets warmer, or even better, why don't we drive up there?

Enjoy Canada and the shopping at the nursery? the joy of picking out your own plants! I love that! :)

They do paper works, so crossing the border shouldn't be an issue.

Check your calendar!

I had one of these that I got from Antec as a seedling, way back in 2000 or 2001, I think. Unfortunately it didn't do well for me (I don't have much luck with Brachys or their hybrids). I've considered getting another one and trying it out.

Anyway, I like almost any malipoense hybrid, it's just a damn good species to have in a cross. I like how your plant & flower sort of look like a miniature malipoense. Also interesting to see the differences in the bloom compared to last time. I would expect it to be larger assuming it's had time to grow a bit and acclimate, but it's so different that these look like different clones.

Is the flower fragrant? I'm guessing it's not, but thought I'd ask.

Yes, I love green flowers in general, Maudiae album, green bulldogs, malipoense and its hybrids.

Let's see, I have quite a few now.
5 malipoense ( one in bud), lots of Norito Hasegawa of all stages of growth and one in bud, quite a few Fanaticum, Fanaticum x malipoense in bud again, Harold Koopowitz, Lynleigh Koopowitz ( in bud), Green Envy, Alice Barrios, Ma Belle, Mint Chocolate,,,
I might have more. lol

Anyway, this plant and flower is about the same size as my malipoense.
The only things that are smaller are pouch and shorter inflorescence.

It is rather slow, but has been growing steadily and blooms again! :)
The difference from the last bloom is indeed quite noticeable.
The flower has no scent.

My other seedling doesn't look very well. I am tempted to toss it but will hold on to it for now in case it turns out to be a smaller plant with a good flower.

Yes, I love green flowers in general, Maudiae album, green bulldogs, malipoense and its hybrids. Let's see, I have quite a few now.

Cool. Weirdly enough, I'm not really much into Maudiaes, albums, or bulldogs. Something about that specific malipoense green, and perhaps the contrasting black raspberry veins are what I like the best. I feel like I do need more malipoense plants and malipoense hybrids in my collection. Guess I need to clear out some phrags to make room. Though technically I'd be making room for malipoense AND hangianum hybrids, because I'm on the lookout for some more highly fragrant paphs.

Cool. Weirdly enough, I'm not really much into Maudiaes, albums, or bulldogs. Something about that specific malipoense green, and perhaps the contrasting black raspberry veins are what I like the best. I feel like I do need more malipoense plants and malipoense hybrids in my collection. Guess I need to clear out some phrags to make room. Though technically I'd be making room for malipoense AND hangianum hybrids, because I'm on the lookout for some more highly fragrant paphs.

Is it "Mint" green? Ice Green, Jade Green...but Malipoense also comes in different shades of green. It is hard to describe for me in English.

It might also be the overall flower shape. Most people I know do not care for any paphiopedilum except for parvis. They say pouch really turns them off, but the pouch on the parvi is somehow not that gross, I guess. lol
I used to not like parvis for their "toilet bowl" pouch. What difference in taste and how taste changes!

Speaking of hang, I also have Shunfa Golden in bud and some seedlings. Mem. Larry Heuer in bud, also. Oh, and Jennifer Kalina soon to open up!
I have quite the malipoense hybrid collecton, it turns out! :)

So far, the only thing that's fragrant at any level have been spicerianum (spicy, peppery), Armeni White (very faint, and on & off. moody I guess lol), Shunfa Golden (very fragrant day and night).
Then, there are certain brachys that smell terrible! lol

I'm looking forward to my Mem. Larry Heuer. hopefully fragrant!

This is a fresh open flower, but last time it disnt fade until the flower was about to go.

More shapely, round, that is, Ma Belle lookalike.
I would guess most would be faint green but some might be surprising.
The most interesting thing I want to find out is how the added shot of bellatulum will influence the markings. A lot of fine spots all over, big ones?

All this, of course, if it takes.

Fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back