Lycaste Support

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am loving growing Lycaste. While I am getting better with their culture (skinnerii and the deciduous), I am still learning. I have had some slip ups with rotting new growths. I think I am kicking in the heavier watering too early when the new growth is too susceptible to rot. I do my best to keep water out of the growths, but something goes wrong on occasion.

I have a few questions:

1. Any underlights lycaste growers out there?
2. Any recommendations for researching lycaste culture? I own Lycaste, Ida, and Anguloa by Dr. Oakeley. Any other important references?
3. Best vendors for Lycaste? I check in regularly check with CalOrchids and New Vision Orchids. Ecugenera has some also but they can be hit or miss. Any other recommendations?

I have a question maybe one of you lycaste growers might be able to help with. I have lycaste 'red jewl' that I have had about 3 years now. It is growing wonderfully and has bloomed reliably since I had it. Always blooms right around Dec. or Jan. My question is every time it blooms it also sends up its new flush of growth and new roots. (its blooming right now and has new shoots about 3 or 4 inches tall and new roots about 1 - 2" about to grow into the medium and over the edge or the pot (the newest growths will be over the edge of the pot. It is in bad need of repotting. When is the best time to repot? I know most orchids you don't want to repot while in bloom but the way this one grows if I wait until after if finishes blooming the new roots will be well anchored in the growing medium. Also usually I repot in spring but this puts me doing it in the middle of winter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The best time to repot any orchid is when the new roots just begin to grow. If you time it correctly you will be much less likely to damage those new, tender roots.
Unfortunately that is the time that your plant decides to bloom.
My suggestion would be to repot this particular plant in the fall. Perhaps in October or November when you first see that new growth is starting. If this orchid is as reliable as you say, that would be good enough evidence that it should be reported at that time.

And Dj, I have to admit that I have not got a single suggestion as to a source for Lycastes. I do not think that in all my ‘orchid growing years’ they have been at all popular. Could their finicky nature in terms of culture be the reason? I don’t know.
If they are not popular, or in moderate demand, perhaps no one is interested in developing new plants.

Hey Dj, I do not know why I suddenly thought of Cal Orchid just as I posted that I couldn’t think of a Lycaste source. But I checked and they have maybe 8 or 9 listed on their website. Some are out of stock but perhaps they could potentially be a source. It might be a good idea to keep an eye on them?

Last edited:
And Dj, I have to admit that I have not got a single suggestion as to a source for Lycastes. I do not think that in all my ‘orchid growing years’ they have been at all popular. Could their finicky nature in terms of culture be the reason? I don’t know.
If they are not popular, or in moderate demand, perhaps no one is interested in developing new plants.

Hey Dj, I do not know why I suddenly thought of Cal Orchid just as I posted that I couldn’t think of a Lycaste source. But I checked and they have maybe 8 or 9 listed on their website. Some are out of stock but perhaps they could potentially be a source. It might be a good idea to keep an eye on them?
Last week I asked Cal Orchid if they have any Lycaste hybrids for sale. The reply was "Sorry, not at this time".

The best time to repot any orchid is when the new roots just begin to grow. If you time it correctly you will be much less likely to damage those new, tender roots.
Unfortunately that is the time that your plant decides to bloom.
My suggestion would be to repot this particular plant in the fall. Perhaps in October or November when you first see that new growth is starting. If this orchid is as reliable as you say, that would be good enough evidence that it should be reported at that time.
thank you I appreciate the info.

if I wait until after if finishes blooming the new roots will be well anchored in the growing medium. Also usually I repot in spring but this puts me doing it in the middle of winter. .
Probably not good to let Lycaste roots grow over the side of the pot. Shift it into a larger pot big enough to accommodate
the new roots. Don't disturb the rootball now. If you need to renew the old media do it during your next normal season.

I mentioned it somewhere else by there was an AOS webinar earlier this years focusing on Lycaste. I highly recommend it. I still grow a handful of them but they are not the easiest for me. My skills have I improved but I am not claiming success...yet

@Aaron888 I agree with the advice of the other post. I would try to disturb the root ball as little as possible, and pot it up to a larger pot while the roots are active.

The only Lycaste reference I have in my library is a very old copy of “The Genus Lycaste” by J. A. Fowlie, M. D. It was copywrite 1970. It might still contain some useful information.

Latest posts

Back