Lycaste guatemalensis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently, I have taken to collecting Lycastes and have added several to my collection this year. Unfortunately, I did not know Lycastes are very prone to viruses. I tested a few I bought from eBay out of curiosity not thinking anything would be wrong. Each one tested positive for CymMV. So, I kept testing and found that a decent percent of my Lycaste were virused, including new acquisition that I not not repotted or manipulated. Sad business....

Anyhow, I am very happy this one tested clean! Bruised but clean!!

Lycaste guatemalensis2.JPGLycastes guatemalensis.JPG

Didn't know that about lycaste. That one is looking good. I thought the one that I was trying was dead but it is sprouting not one but two new leaves. I still shouldn't be watering it correct? I do know it is getting some mist as I mist some other plants. Hoping for the best, as I've never bloomed one.

Bob, I did not either. When I started getting positives in my lycaste but no other genus in my collection, i reached out to some grower and judge friends. No one was surprised, and they all said the same thing about lycaste being virus prone. I wish I had known before I went on a search and buy mission this year. I bought from very reputable places but still found virus. Who knows whether they came virused or it was transmitted while under my care. At least I know now and will ask more questions before purchased lycaste in the future.

Your lycaste is a skinneri hybrid, right? If so, you will want to water lightly. The skinneri hybrids don't require a completely dry rest, just a drier rest. This is a sensitive time because water in the new growths will cause them to rot. I started watering mine from the bottom until the new growth is at least 4 inches. I know plenty of growers who don't find this neccessary, but it has worked for me.

Mine is Lycaste Abou First Spring 'Will' which is (Shonan Harmony x Shoalhaven). That is all I know about it. I also noticed at one point you asked about Normans. I have bought from them and done O.K. but everyone does not. They protect themselves by telling you not to repot upon arrival. Then if you do they feel they are not responsible. On the other hand if you wait as they instruct you to, it is your fault as you overwatered the plants. I'd buy from them but repot upon arrival.

Lycaste Abou First Will Spring is 85.2 skinneri, 7.8% macrophylla, and 7% cruenta. I would treat it like a skinnerii. Even when resting they get moisture.

I have been tempted to order for Norman's but their customer service reports are concerning.

Latest posts

Back