Lycaste cruenta 'Marie'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Greenpaph

Currently in bloom. Fragrant as well.

I had this one identified a few years back at the Selby ID Center.

LycastecruentaMarie.jpg

Beautiful flower. Very nice.
I am not trying to be negative, so don't get me wrong. Selby Gardens has been notorious of late in making errors on their IDs. Who at Selby signed off on your identity? I would hunt down Oakley's email address, in UK, and email him several images, and any info you have on the history of that plant and whom you aquirred it from. The one picture does not seem a good match for L. cruenta to my eye. I've seen a few, yours is different. You might touch base with Cal Dodson, Dressler, or Eric Christiansen. Regardless of what the AOS thinks, Selby has been an inacurate resource of late.
I would hazzard the plant is either a natural hybrid or a man made hybrid involving cruenta and deppei or cruenta and lassioglossa. Possibly cruenta with brevispatha. The spotting in the sepals is certainly atypical. Shape is atyplical, it should be a bit more up facing cup shaped. If the flower lacks the red blotch in the throat of the flower you definitely are dealing with something other than a pure cruenta. Something says "deppei hybrid" to me. I have a natural hybrid of deppei with some skinneri in it. Deppei hybrids have a "look"
Regardless of what the plant is, it is lovely, and one I wouldn't mind having in my collection.
Cheers
Leo

Leo Schordje said:
Beautiful flower. Very nice.
I am not trying to be negative, so don't get me wrong. Selby Gardens has been notorious of late in making errors on their IDs. Who at Selby signed off on your identity? I would hunt down Oakley's email address, in UK, and email him several images, and any info you have on the history of that plant and whom you aquirred it from. The one picture does not seem a good match for L. cruenta to my eye. I've seen a few, yours is different. You might touch base with Cal Dodson, Dressler, or Eric Christiansen. Regardless of what the AOS thinks, Selby has been an inacurate resource of late.
I would hazzard the plant is either a natural hybrid or a man made hybrid involving cruenta and deppei or cruenta and lassioglossa. Possibly cruenta with brevispatha. The spotting in the sepals is certainly atypical. Shape is atyplical, it should be a bit more up facing cup shaped. If the flower lacks the red blotch in the throat of the flower you definitely are dealing with something other than a pure cruenta. Something says "deppei hybrid" to me. I have a natural hybrid of deppei with some skinneri in it. Deppei hybrids have a "look"
Regardless of what the plant is, it is lovely, and one I wouldn't mind having in my collection.
Cheers
Leo

Leo,

Thank you for your attentiveness. I need to be more careful as to my labelling the pictures from the labels. I do have a Lyc. cruenta 'Marie'. However, this one is Lyc. cruenta x macrophylla (Lyc. Edinensis). I apologize to the forum for my inattentiveness when rapidly taking pictures, jotting the names down and posting the photos. I recently sent the picture to Steve Pruyn in Ca. I am surprised he hasn't picked up on it yet.
I had Oakley's email address years ago and corresponded with him on a couple of occasions. I purchased a few of his flasks about 20 years ago as well. I lost it in exchanging computers a few years ago.

My apologies once again!

Peter Cataldo

Latest posts

Back