Lueddemaniana goes Wild in Miami

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s a block party of 12 blue lueddies at the Tamiami show that received an AQ (awarded for entire cross for improvement of the species or cross, aka Award of Quality) from the AOS.

All were bred by Krull-Smith nursery in Florida. Parentage cultivars used were ‘Cassie’s Delight’ x ‘Striped’. Two plants in this group were awarded AMs in the show. Can anyone guess which two?

8F952F38-3D8C-4F12-9599-40A025FCA9B0.jpeg
EF88BE7A-A266-4EA0-8738-F89AC476EC35.jpegA5C4E4E8-9304-4A88-A0B4-C11E2AB242B3.jpegC83279C5-A9D3-47F8-9CC4-7E2C67019333.jpeg4F5C8248-0C3B-445B-AB0A-2DD1954C6004.jpeg43FF8B40-A77D-4B9C-B0CC-46B5DA22C791.jpegD6915FD7-41BD-40F4-9B7D-A10272B6FD85.jpeg
04E09470-696B-4DE9-98CC-C6556859B632.jpeg

Last edited:
They're stunning, I was considering picking some of these up earlier this year, but I have not been successful in blooming this species yet. Blue lueddemanianas are probably my favorite coeruleas of any catt species. The slight venosa one (picture 6) is my favorite. Thanks for sharing!

These have just an amazing quality and form! I’d take any of them in a heartbeat. I think that the two that were awarded are the two nearest the front of the display.
The coerulea clones that were discovered in the wild had, by chance, exceptional form and so their progeny, some generations on are now producing some stunning grexes!

Size would help, because otherwise you have configuration differences competing with coloration differences. Since I would only have room for one, and considering my pale coerulea species, I am most drawn to the coloration of 3 and 5 and would be happy to flip a coin between them.

Size would help, because otherwise you have configuration differences competing with coloration differences. Since I would only have room for one, and considering my pale coerulea species, I am most drawn to the coloration of 3 and 5 and would be happy to flip a coin between them.
All but number 7 had NS of about 16-17 cm. The last one (#7) was about 15 cm NS.

#’s 6 and 7 would be my guess. Number 4 also has a very nice lip. I feel that the overall form and presentation are the best on those two. Their lips are their best feature.
They are all worthy to some degree but that is to be expected when going for an AQ. If Krull had 30 or 40 in bloom, you take the best 12 to judging. I am quite sure that the folks at KS can pick out the best 12. But for me, give me number 40!!! I would be just fine by me. 🥰

I just picked up a Cattleya walkeriana ‘coerulea’ myself yesterday at the Greater Lansing OS meeting. We had a wonderful selection of plants yesterday. I would have been happy taking home three or four.
Besides the walkeriana was a triple growth Phalaenopsis, looked a whole lot like Doritis pulcherrima!! The plant lacked a label however.
But I had the good fortune of having 21 raffle tickets out of maybe 70-80 purchased. All at $1 each. I won 7 times!!! I gave the first two away to new members! I look at it as an investment in good will!! ( they were so excited to get a winning ticket! ) Then I took the walkeriana with my third winner. I then won 4 more times and gave them all away. I get such pleasure in doing that.
Anyway, I should be in the lottery since I am running a raffle hot streak, 19 winners in the last 4 months!! Oh boy. I have given away 16 of those 19 winners!
Some lady even picked up a nice seven growth Phragmipedium pearcei off the raffle table. RATS, I never noticed that plant! Oh darn. 😜🤪

The club is down to 34 members. I hope to keep a few newer ones around by keeping them interested. I have more then enough orchids so if getting them excited helps, I am happy.

#’s 6 and 7 would be my guess. Number 4 also has a very nice lip. I feel that the overall form and presentation are the best on those two. Their lips are their best feature.
They are all worthy to some degree but that is to be expected when going for an AQ. If Krull had 30 or 40 in bloom, you take the best 12 to judging. I am quite sure that the folks at KS can pick out the best 12. But for me, give me number 40!!! I would be just fine by me. 🥰
Almost everyone guessed number 7. And you are right! Though smaller in size at 15 cm, it had a round full petal shape and proportionally round lip.

And the other one awarded was indeed number 6. It had wide petals but due to its length horizontally, it didn’t complete a circle.

Number 1 was big but petals narrow.

Number 2 had pinched and rolling lip but good petals.

Number 3 was proportionate but the sepals had uneven green margins. Might have been given an AD (Award of Distinction) for new color direction if the green markings were even and symmetrical on all 3 sepals. The blue coloration on petals and lip was very nice though and would have been awarded if not for the uneven green sepals.

Number 4 was big but petals floppy and thin substance.

Number 5 flower was big at 18 cm but floppy petals and narrow lip that curled in. It also had one of the nicest darkest blue in lip.

Fun game!

Latest posts

Back