Ludisia discolor alba

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The white version of the popular jewel orchid Ludisia. Similar flowers to the normal variety. This genus is the most forgiving and relatively easy to grow. Warm and bright. Grows low light and cool too. In any mix lol. A few color leaf forms exists.

3DCB85A6-D665-48B5-9747-E80D6F2DC010.jpegF06C8A85-C9E4-40DF-B166-9BFC517F0161.jpegAEAE2E59-0025-4F7F-8010-AB6D31D6943A.jpeg9AFEF356-F099-472D-A67D-53ED79973D33.jpeg

Leslie, does the alba require more light than the old burgundy plant? I grow my
discolor shady and in potting soil and it's grower.
I don’t think so as it’s growing side by side with my other Ludisias. In fact, I think mine is getting too much light as it’s slightly tan yellow on edges.

They are very neat flowers! You always hear that the jewel orchids are only grown for the foliage - a bit unfair in my view: your flowers evoke in my thoughts of maybe a Pectelliis jr. or Phalaenopsis equestris alba or ditto Ph. pulcherrima.
And concerning culture you are so right, my mother succeeded in keeping a Ludisia alive through several years and even flowered it. And that says something about its hardiness! 😁

Abax, My normal Ludisia discolor are fine. My big pots of L discolor alba and Macodes petola crashed (the Macodes totally :( ) but the Ludisia alba is coming back.

Latest posts

Back