Low Humidity

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papheteer

Reaction score
My humidity runs between 35-40%. That's what the humidifier says. I grow mostly parvis. Is this too low? Could this be a cause of slow growth? My light stand is in my living room, would humidity trays work in this set-up?

papheteer said:
My humidity runs between 35-40%. That's what the humidifier says. I grow mostly parvis. Is this too low? Could this be a cause of slow growth? My light stand is in my living room, would humidity trays work in this set-up?

Yes and no.

Higher humidity 50-75% with good air movement would prob help. I don't think humidity trays in an open environment like that would add that much humidity. Prob better than nothing though

35-45 may be adequate for cold winter nights, but not good for warm summer days for most parvis. And my brachys wouldn't put up with that level any time of year.

I'd be shooting for at least 70% this time of year.

of course humidity trays would work Igrow a lot of my orchids with pots sitting in trays of wet gravel.try it and see the diff it makes
cheers manfred

First, most parvi species and many of the parvi hybrids are slow. With the hybrids I find there are a few from each flask that grow rapidly, the rest are slow. So your perception of slow might not have anything to do with your humidity, it may be the nature of your plants.
* About Humidity: my parvis get by with low 35% humidity for about 4 months out of the year. It is not ideal, but they get by. During the late spring, summer and early fall my humidity comes up with the outside air coming in. Seldom does it get all the way up into the ideal range. But my parvis get by. Some clones of armeniacum and micranthum I have had for more than 15 years. They bloom occasionally. Most clones only bloom about every 2 to 3 years. At ideal humidity (70-85%) you will get better, faster and more robust root and foliage growth. But at those humidities I have trouble with the paint peeling off the walls. Not good for the house. So I accept the slower growth.
* Humidity trays are not terribly effective, BUT they help you group the plants together. A tight group of plants will form their own "micro-climate" especially when you pass the 50 plants all in a bunch point. So go ahead and try the humidity trays. Keep them clean, detritus build up will spread disease and insects.
Leo

I noticed I get mould on the walls in the winter due to condensation even at 50% humidty.... so those humidity levels are not ideal at all in the household

In a home environment, humidity trays are of essentially no value, as they surface area is insufficient to allow the evaporation of enough water to have an appreciable effect on the humidity.

Borrowing from TZ - if you open the lid on your toilet, does it get really humid in the bathroom?

Read this: http://www.firstrays.com/evaporation.htm

I was thinking it raises the humidity of the air a few inches above the trays, no?
Since paphs, parvis in particular, are not tall plants, it might benefit them.

In a home environment, humidity trays are of essentially no value, as they surface area is insufficient to allow the evaporation of enough water to have an appreciable effect on the humidity.

Borrowing from TZ - if you open the lid on your toilet, does it get really humid in the bathroom?

Read this: http://www.firstrays.com/evaporation.htm

I've also not been impressed with the performance of humidity trays, unless you crowd them. I haven't done this but you might be able to soup them up by putting some air difussors in them hooked to aquarium pumps. Some folks have also added the mini ultrasonic foggers to them.

Latest posts

Back