Lotus

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
Yay! After quite some yime, my lotus plant (Nelumbo nucifera) decided to bloom again.. :) I've got 2 flowers..
IMG_1877.jpg

Look at the size of that leaf compared with my hand..!
IMG_1879.jpg

Previous blooming:
lotus.jpg

lotus1.jpg

They are GLORIOUS! It will be a long way off til mine's blooming - right now we're sitting in the middle of a major snowstorm - 12-20 inches expected!

Beautiful! How large is the tub you are growing in? Maybe I should try one of these!

Beautiful! How large is the tub you are growing in? Maybe I should try one of these!

Mark, the tub is about 4 ft x 4 ft x 4 ft... I'm growing it with some waterlilies, though... The lotus itself doesn't need deep water... it just needs a lot of mud..

Do you eat the lotus when it's done?

Nearly all parts of the lotus plant is edibl :) The leaves are used to wrap rice, which is then steamed. Uaually, one eats the lotus root (actually the rhizome).. Mine has rhizomes only about 1 inch in diameter, so I guess it's not worth eating... :p I think the leaf-stalks ca also be eaten, but you must skin the outer layer first. It is covered with many short spines... Even the seeds are edible. After removing the outer black shell, the inner white 'nut' is cooked with syrup..

Latest posts

Back