Lots of photo borrowing/theft from Russia

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candace

Reaction score
I've noticed over the last year, that I've had a large percentage of bandwidth use of my site and I've been unable to track where the use was coming from. Finally, I've tracked it down to some Russian forums and sites. They are hot-linking my photos and I see lots of familiar names and photos on this one site in particular http://translate.google.com/transla...nt=safari&rls=en&biw=1199&bih=1001&prmd=imvns

I had it translated in English. It looks like most to all of her photos, used in her commercial business are hot-linked to our sites. Now this isn't such a big deal to some, but from what I can gather, 65% of the hits from my personal site are from other countries websites that are hot linking to mine. If you don't care, no worries. Though if you're interested check out her site and see if you can find any of your pics:<

Anyone speak or write passable Russian?:>

I should add, I don't mind folks using my bandwidth for forums and discussion type settings, but commercial folks using my material, really rubs me the wrong way.

I have had the same problem with that website. I also want to allow forums and such to link directly to photos, but don't want commercial sites using my bandwidth and screwing up my stats reports.

I've figured out how to block all sites from direct linking to images, but am currently trying to configure a .htaccess file to only prevent certain sites from doing so. Since I just changed hosting providers, the statistics reports aren't updated yet and I can't tell if what I'm doing is working or not. If I succeed, I'll let you know.

--Stephen

Thanks Stephen. I tried blocking a few sites doing this last year to me, but I don't think it worked. This one site gets over a thousand "hits" to my server a month. Although I've not gone through many of the pictures, she has to have linked to quite a few of my photos to garner that many hits a month. I figured the best way to deal with this is to reach out to some tech gurus to nip it where I'm able.

I have been messing around on that site and I think most of the links to my images are coming from their forum. Usually, I wouldn't care but it's an overwhelming number of hits, so I don't know what's going on.

I would just ignore it, but it's messing up all my statistics.

--Stephen

Latest posts

Back