Looking to order from Hung Sheng

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cmallgren

I'm looking to order flasks from Hung Sheng, does anyone have any experience in ordering from them? I've also been looking to purchase flasks from Formosa as well. Just looking for some feedback before I buy. Thanks!

have you got a link to see what's what?!

Don't buy any flasks form someone you haven't checked their (vision for a start) quality. Should they be unable to supply you with some sort of photographic samlpe of what you'd be odering: don't!

Also: It could be worth a minute or two to let us know where you are, and what you'd be odering. Chances are... you'll find what you'd be looking for closer to home, with less chance of loosing your oder during the "shake-up-transport".... crossing continents?!

hi and welcome to the forum
where are located? that can influence the importation process....

Welcome from NYC. I have been trying to get Formosa plants/i'm not good with flasks. If you do an order and can get plants along with flasks I'm sure you could get a group here to go in with you. But, as mentioned above, importation laws ans restrictions can be a factor.

Thanks for the "welcoming's". :) I live right outside of Seattle, WA, and I'm looking to order roths and sanderianums. I've been informed I need importing permits, which isn't an issue. The site has pictures of cross plants, (Which I know can really be taken from anywhere), but not the individual flasks. I'm also working with Dean from Paphiness to order plants and looking at buying flasks from him by OZ. Should I stick with Paphiness and OZ instead? I'm not so much new to Orchids, but I am new to the orchid community, and so far it seems as though Paphiness and OZ are great places to buy from.

Okay, given what you just said:
Don’t order flasks from outside the U.S.!!! You’d be wasting time, money, nerves and most likely 80% of the shipment!!! Look around the U.S. and you’ll find hieps of high-end breeding on your very door-step! I’ll leave it to the other U.S. forumites to point you to the best sources!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think I'll stick with Paphiness and OZ for now. Any other sources anyone may suggest?

Oh, and to goldenrose, I'm very glad I joined. The community seems friendly, filled with advice, and I think I'll be able to learn plenty.

Sam Tsui at Orchid Inn
Tom Kalina at Fox Valley Orchids
Ernie Gemeinhart at Enlightened Orchids
Marriott Orchids

i've gotten things from Formosa (and therefore Hung Sheng) - they are wonderful!! Huge plants much bigger than most US sources. You do need paperwork, however. I would go ahead with it!

i've gotten things from Formosa (and therefore Hung Sheng) - they are wonderful!! Huge plants much bigger than most US sources. You do need paperwork, however. I would go ahead with it!

Formosa resells plants from several sellers, not only Hung Sheng/Bear. There are some really good plants out of Formosa, and they are nice people.

This said, Hung Sheng plants are huge, look exceptionally well grown.

This said again, I and several of my friends never could bloom anything out of them so far of what we ordered that was from the listed parents. Some species turned out to be hybrids, and most species with selected parents had ordinary flowers, not from the selected parents at all. The plants, on the other side, looked really nice.

Have a look at the rothschildianum 'Arschfick' thread. Beautiful plant, but the flowers were not from the given parentage at any cost.

I would be curious to know about new orders from HS, not the plant quality so much, but how they bloom...

yeah but something not so linebred like hookerae or argus or things like that...who cares what the parents are? it's nearly impossible to even get a flask of those things, let alone at $75.

Just curious, why go to the bother of importing flasks from overseas when you have the huge variety of species flasks availabele from Orchid Inn right here in the US?

Just curious, why go to the bother of importing flasks from overseas when you have the huge variety of species flasks availabele from Orchid Inn right here in the US?

Sam hasnt sold a sanderianum flask on his list in years and seems to not be doing any breeding with roth x roth either..his focus seems to be moving toward smaller species and albas...in fact, doesnt seem anyone is breeding roth or sanderianum species anymore within the states...or at least making the flasks available ...sanderianums are plentiful in larger sizes and perhaps there is a desire to wait on further roth breeding in anticipation of blooming out the recent crosses (from Orchid Inn and OZ)

Sam hasnt sold a sanderianum flask on his list in years and seems to not be doing any breeding with roth x roth either..his focus seems to be moving toward smaller species and albas...in fact, doesnt seem anyone is breeding roth or sanderianum species anymore within the states...or at least making the flasks available ...sanderianums are plentiful in larger sizes and perhaps there is a desire to wait on further roth breeding in anticipation of blooming out the recent crosses (from Orchid Inn and OZ)

roth breeding goes in cycles...you don't have new crosses coming out every single year.

sam's seedlings in flask are small (I'm sure due to lab costs), and they are much more expensive. and if you have a friend who orders from overseas, costs come way down in a group order and it's very feasible...

I haven't found anyone with roth or sanderianum flasks in the states, thats why I'm looking to import. If they were being offered here, I would buy here.

Back