Looking in Florida...best shops here to visit to purchase?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kat

I'm looking for some of the nicer orchid growers in the state of Florida.
I want them all pretty much, must include the slipper orchids.

Looking for the good stuff...
Thanks.

What part of florida? Krull-Smith and World of Orchids in Kissamme/Apopka area are 2 [but w/ totally different operations.] Parlmer Orchids sold me some outstanding Tolumina once.

If you visit the Orchid Mall, you can peruse through vendors specifically located in Florida. www.orchidmall.com

That's good advice, we could add our 2 cents worth on if we had dealings with whomever. The only other Fla. vendor I can think of, off the top of my head is Thanh, Springwater Orchids but he did have an address change not too long ago. I'm on his month email list, I could update this the next time he sends unless someone else has the info.
PS. just thought of this - I was looking thru the unclassifieds on orchidmall, he has an ad, contact info is there!

If your in the South, like Miami, you can try Pine Ridge Orchids. Only thing is he hasn't updated his site or posted anything on the forum lately. So I don't know if something happened to him.

But a warning, if you do go, it may be hard to get thru his benches if your a "big" person. I mean you can walk down a bench row sideways facing one way, but the only way you can see whats behind is to walk back to the row entrance then turn around and go back in. But usually his staff brings his paphs in bud/spike to the row entrances.

Terry A. Glancy
Pine Ridge Orchids, Inc.
21100 SW 300 Street
Homestead, FL 33030
ph (305) 247-4839
Email = [email protected]
Website = http://www.PineRidgeOrchids.com

there are quite a few orchid nurseries in the homestead area, and there are a lot of vendors at the winter and spring shows in the miami/ ft lauderdale area.
If you have a chance to go to a show it is a great opportunity to see a lot and talk to a lot of people in one place.
What part of Florida are you in?

If you're considering shopping at orchid ranges during the WOC, you might want to contact vendors in advance since they might not be at the nurseries! I e-mailed Krull-Smith and that was the case- saves the running around. Just stop at their booth.

-Ernie

Lots of great info thanks!
I am in the S.W. part of Florida.
I will go to the WOC and can't wait! There is another show/sale in May the Redland Orchid Fest. Smaller but may be nice.

Did call Pine Ridge. Sounds great but they say I'd have to look thru everything and that nothing is in order, everything is scattered about. He says there is no order or no pictures of anything in bloom so unless you know, well...
Guess the best time to go there is in bloom time.
I am going, Terry sounds so nice and I'm sure they have just about everything I could hope for.
I have been to Sundance orchids. Nice place. They don't have any slipper orchids though.

I will go to the WOC and can't wait! There is another show/sale in May the Redland Orchid Fest. Smaller but may be nice..
Redland Orchid Fest is GREAT !! If I lived in South Fla..I would be there every year !! I have been 2 X ! We love your part of Fla, too and will be at Bonita Beach the week of the WOC, but are driving over to Miami for that and the Tamiami show !

I will go to the WOC and can't wait! There is another show/sale in May the Redland Orchid Fest. Smaller but may be nice.

Did call Pine Ridge. Sounds great but they say I'd have to look thru everything and that nothing is in order, everything is scattered about. He says there is no order or no pictures of anything in bloom so unless you know, well...
Guess the best time to go there is in bloom time.
orchids though.

There is also the Fairchild Orchid Festival 2/29-3/2, but $20 bucks to get in. Yeah it's disorganized, but Terry is a wholesaler so the flower shops come around and buy anything in bloom. But don't let that stop you from getting some bargains. I bought a 8-10 growth Delrosi, for about $35-$45, it could probably sell for twice that much.

Gilda, I've heard sometimes Redlands is so hot theat people spontaneously combust! Also that's SE FLA.
Hmmm, never saw anyone sponatous combust, faint , etc...:poke: I like Redland because it is spread out ..and you are not jammed up in a room with hundreds of crazy orchid people !:wink:
It can be very hot, but we never had a problem with it. If you can't stand hot humid weather I wouldn't go, but you can always go early before it gets too hot...I have a small pull cart for bottled water and purchases..also a battery operated misting fan works great...you just have to know how to deal with hot weather. I personally like it hot !

Redland Orchid Fest is GREAT !! If I lived in South Fla..I would be there every year !! I have been 2 X ! We love your part of Fla, too and will be at Bonita Beach the week of the WOC, but are driving over to Miami for that and the Tamiami show !

Where and when is ther Tamiami Show???

Latest posts

Back