• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking for two Angraecoids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PHRAG

I am looking for the following two plants from reputable dealers or hobbyists...

Aeranthes henricii
Angraecum distichum

I have tried Cal Orchids, Hoosier, Andy's and Orchids Limited.

I've got it too, John. I've been searching all over for Angraecoids. I think that I can grow these mounted, so they won't interfere with my Paph growing space... so I can justify buying all kinds of them :)

Now I just need to find out who has the best deals and decide on which ones I want :)

- Matt

I am glad it's not just me who is addicted! :)

I blame Uri, Heather and Robin for my plunge into "Scented White Madness". This is what I have ordered so far...

Angraecum didieri
Angraecum florulentum
Angraecum magdalenae
Angraecum sesquipedale

Aerangis fastuosa
Aerangis hyaloides
Aerangis mystacidii
Aerangis splendida

If I can find these last two, I will take a break. I am not sure whether to mount them on cork, or hang them in baskets, or try to make them accept pot culture. Cork mounts look really nice, but take up room. Baskets are my least favorite potting method. And I am afraid they will revolt against being potted. Any ideas?

I also looked around alot at Cal, Hoosier, Andy's, Orchids Limited and Oak Hill before buying.

Thanks Marco,

We can cross distichum off the list if they have it in stock.

I've only grown Angraecum sesquipedale so far, and they were incredibly vigorous in mesh pots or wooden baskets. I prefer to mount them, but mounted orchids dry out too quickly for me.

- Matt

Very nice selection you got there - but I don't see any Angraecum leonis on your list - this is by far the nicest Angraecum of all !!

PHRAG said:
I am glad it's not just me who is addicted! :)

I blame Uri, Heather and Robin for my plunge into "Scented White Madness". This is what I have ordered so far...

Angraecum didieri
Angraecum florulentum
Angraecum magdalenae
Angraecum sesquipedale

Aerangis fastuosa
Aerangis hyaloides
Aerangis mystacidii
Aerangis splendida

If I can find these last two, I will take a break. I am not sure whether to mount them on cork, or hang them in baskets, or try to make them accept pot culture. Cork mounts look really nice, but take up room. Baskets are my least favorite potting method. And I am afraid they will revolt against being potted. Any ideas?

I also looked around alot at Cal, Hoosier, Andy's, Orchids Limited and Oak Hill before buying.

How big does it get Uri?

I was trying to start with the compact growers. I know sesquipedale is not compact, but I gotta have one of those.

It's tough trying to figure out which species to get without seeing them in person. Robin was a big help in deciding which species gave me the most bang for the buck without buying a monster sized plant.

Much smaller than a sesquipedale - about the size of a single flowered Paph (like argus or barbatum ) grows well on slabs basket or in a pot,
Another interesting specie is Angraecum clareae - if anyone knows where to get one please tell me !!!

PHRAG said:
How big does it get Uri?

I was trying to start with the compact growers. I know sesquipedale is not compact, but I gotta have one of those.

It's tough trying to figure out which species to get without seeing them in person. Robin was a big help in deciding which species gave me the most bang for the buck without buying a monster sized plant.

See, this is what I miss watching Adult Swim before bed instead of sitting in front of this machine...

Yeah, leonis is awesome. No doubt about it. If you get the Madagascan form, it's definitely small...var. comorense is much larger. It doesn’t look like everyone specifies which they’re selling, so inquire maybe? Word has it comorense is also the more robust, but this isn’t based on my own experience.

I was mainly singing the praises of the true minis though—how can you pass over Aerangis punctata, John?!

Just one little Angraecum didieri, Heather? Tiny plant, pretty silver roots...big, fragrant crystalline flower?... It was my first one. I saw it at the Michigan Orchid Society show a few years ago and spent months trying to track one down. They’re easy to find now! :evil:

Do you know this one?

A-chamaeanthu.jpg

Latest posts

Back