Looking for this book?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
Paphiopedilum Species -- The Essential Guide, by Oakeley and Braem

Sam Tsui, of Orchid Inn, is selling copies of this book for $10.00 plus shipping. Just thought slipper folks might like to know.

I'm not buying another Bream Book, doesn't matter how cheap it is. Don't support cheap people!

Hiya Mike,
Use the engine in this forum, and you’ll find more than enough insults, than in any other forum dealing with the matter.
That’s my 2 pennies, for what they’ll be worth.

Sounds interesting, does it have photos?
Yes -- typically one for each species and forms.

Hiya Mike,
Use the engine in this forum, and you’ll find more than enough insults, than in any other forum dealing with the matter.
That’s my 2 pennies, for what they’ll be worth.

Nobody is perfect, and there are two authors. Plus, I'm not going to punish myself by not getting this book just because I'm not pleased that Dr. Braem sometimes is not nice.

There is no question that Braem can be arrogant, rude, condescending, and obnoxious. He has proven that here and on countless other forums. There is also no question that Braem is knowledgeable, articulate, and informative. I have never read a book by him that I didn't like, and for that reason I would love to pick up a copy of that book. I also wish that he would start posting here again. I think he's given our skins enough callouses by now to deal with him.

Yes -- typically one for each species and forms.

Nobody is perfect, and there are two authors. Plus, I'm not going to punish myself by not getting this book just because I'm not pleased that Dr. Braem sometimes is not nice.

Nobody is perfect but anyway it must be cultured. We are orchid lovers, and no street children .

Well, faithfully:
It's not easy to like the unlikeable!

Worse than that: What's the piont of supporting someones' work, if that work is based on lothing other poeple's oppinions, and a noisy narcissistic personality disorder?

To be fair, lets not mix up Braem's books with his posts. Yes, Braem could be ....no ...was condescending and dismissive in his posts with people he disagreed with. However, his books, and I have the ones he did with the Baker's and the one he did with Chiron, are very professionally written, and address all the different opinions regarding taxonomic status, without put-downs or judgment. Personally, I think anyone who has a serious interest in paphs should at the very least read his books. I rank them up there with the books by Koopowitz, Averyanov, and Lance Birk.

That is one for each room of the house I guess....

7 rooms and 2 garbage : 1 room for Harold , 1 room for Cribb , 1 room for Leonid , 4 rooms for Olaf and 2 garbage :D

In Asia, we say : " One learns to be polite/civil before one studies literature "

The German say : " Bildung dann Ausbildung "

What has Harold wrote in his book : " Tropical Slipper Orchids " about him ?

Back