• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking for Supplier of LECA & Other Orchid Supplies in Southeastern U.S.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Corndog

Hi:

I live close to Tallahassee, Florida and I want to try semi hydro. I would like to find a supplier close by to save on shipping charges. Anyone know of a supplier in the area?

thanks,

elizbeth

Look in your yellow pages under hydoponics. I bet there is a hydroponics store in your area. All they're going to carry is hydroton, (most likely). Which isn't necessarily the best leca on the market to use for s/h. But, it's a start.

Candace:

What type of media would you use/do you use that is available now? I know from reading old threads that the old PA seem to be the media of choice for most.

Marco:

Thanks, her name is Belle. She is a Brittany Spaniel, and she is as goofy as she looks, but we love her anyway.

Elizbeth, if you can get some of the Old P.A. from Blake, that would be the best way to go. He's not using it anymore and you can sterilize it and reuse it.

I now use the leca from www.cropking.com but the shipping is a killer. I think many people who want to try s/h go with hydroton because it's cheap and usually locally available. But, it's not the easiest leca to master with many types of orchids. I grow lots of orchids in hydroton, but paphs especially seem to prefer the Old PA type. I also think people who lose plants in hydroton attribute it to "s/h doesn't work" etc. when it very well may be the leca and not the s/h the plant isn't thrilled with. By all means, experiment with hydroton since it will save you $, but start off with plants that are easily replaceable and won't make you cry buckets if you lose them.

Oops! Sorry I meant Blake. :eek:
It was very late last night when I posted the reply.

Elizbeth, if you can get some of the Old P.A. from Blake, that would be the best way to go. He's not using it anymore and you can sterilize it and reuse it.

I now use the leca from www.cropking.com but the shipping is a killer. I think many people who want to try s/h go with hydroton because it's cheap and usually locally available. But, it's not the easiest leca to master with many types of orchids. I grow lots of orchids in hydroton, but paphs especially seem to prefer the Old PA type. I also think people who lose plants in hydroton attribute it to "s/h doesn't work" etc. when it very well may be the leca and not the s/h the plant isn't thrilled with. By all means, experiment with hydroton since it will save you $, but start off with plants that are easily replaceable and won't make you cry buckets if you lose them.
What is the best way to sterilize used P. A.?

Back