• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking For Small Phrags

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

nyorchids

i am looking for small phrags the smallest of the small hybrids are fine i want the leafspan no more than 12" and the spike no more than 12" this may fit my needs? PHRAG Barbara LeAnn anyone have any phrag that fits this discription?
thanks

ron thanks keep them comming also if anyone has them let me know i want to put them in my frog tanks!

Phrag. fischeri would work. Very small plants. Or, maybe wait for Pink Panther to become available again.

Both the Barbara LeAnn's I've had have NOT been small plants. Both long leaved, climb like crazy, and fairly tall spikes due to their ability to produce many sequential flowers.

Hey Stan, are you getting back into growing orchids?

Seen some small Wossen, ecuadorense, fischeri, and April Fools. The April Fool is a gamble though, mine stays tiny but I've seen some get big.

Jon
________
Jeep-eagle

Last edited:
Heather said:
Phrag. fischeri would work. Very small plants. Or, maybe wait for Pink Panther to become available again.

Both the Barbara LeAnn's I've had have NOT been small plants. Both long leaved, climb like crazy, and fairly tall spikes due to their ability to produce many sequential flowers.

Hey Stan, are you getting back into growing orchids?
heather not getting back into them yet just looking to deck out my new viv with frogs and wanted to incorporate some slipper type orchids!

Hmmm, what about Mexipedium? The humidity, misting and warm conditions might make it too happy, and overtake the viv though. Just an idea.

I find phrag Olaf Gruss to be a manageble size. Its besseae x percii. The ones I've seen don't climb.

I'm surprised to hear that Phrag wossen can be compact. Correct me it I'm wrong, but its richterii x schlimii. richterii being very big and schlimmi being larger then average. The flowers I have seen are beautiful and it is near the top of my list for new hybrid accusitions.

Kyle

True schlimii is not very big. There are a few plants masquerading as schlimii ("Wilcox" and "Birchwood" clones) that are actually Cardinale (or close). Those are pretty big plants. Unfortunately a lot of people have made crosses with those imposters.. No excuse for it now, but 5 or 10 years ago not many people realized there was a problem.

For what it's worth, my Phrag Wossens are very compact for their age. I don't know how that will trend will continue once they are fully mature, though.

- Matt

littlefrog said:
True schlimii is not very big. There are a few plants masquerading as schlimii ("Wilcox" and "Birchwood" clones) that are actually Cardinale (or close). Those are pretty big plants. Unfortunately a lot of people have made crosses with those imposters.. No excuse for it now, but 5 or 10 years ago not many people realized there was a problem.

I don't think it is a big plant either, but when it is crossed with besseae to make hanne popow, the resulting offspring are bigger then either parent (in general, from my observations. The leaves get the width of besseae but the length, plus a couple of inches, of schlimii). The schlimii foliage tends to be more upright, which gives it the impression of being a bigger plants.

I expected Phrag wossen to be a larger plant. Maybe there something to do with the theory that richterii is a hybrid of pearcii and boisarianum.

Meaning Phrag wossen would be (pearcii x boiserianum) x schlimmi -> 75% smallish species and 25% big

Kyle

HI. I forgot about this one. Phrag. Prissy (St. Ouen x besseae) the ones I got from Orchidview were blooming on 10" leafspan in 2" pots.

This may be pushing the limit, but my blooming P. klotzchsianum would presently fit your space requirements.

Since its a first time bloomer, I don't know if its going to go wild and get bigger with successive growths.

Here's a great new small and compact hybrid.

Phrag. Ryoko Urabe (Barbara LeAnn x fischeri). Since it is a hybrid, it has much more growing vigor than fischeri does, and makes for a nice plant. The leaf span at blooming size is usually 6 to 8 inches.

Link:

http://www.orchidweb.com/cat_dtl.asp?P_Recno=3786&f_pagenumber=1&tpn=1

PRyUr19B.jpg

The smallest size is a year from blooming, and the larger can spike anytime now.

SlipperFan said:
I thin caricinum stays quite small. Thin leaves, like pearcei.

You're right Dot. He may need to do lots of weeding though, since they can multiply very fast into a big specimen plant when they are happy.:clap:

My caricinum is pretty massive, actually... it does have thin leaves, though. Its about 16" tall and 18" wide, on 4 growths.

- Matt

gore42 said:
My caricinum is pretty massive, actually... it does have thin leaves, though. Its about 16" tall and 18" wide, on 4 growths.

- Matt
Wow! Mine's tiny in comparison. It's about 6" tall, the arching leaves are about 12-13" long and I also have four growths, two of which are in spike.

Latest posts

Back