Looking for photo of concolor "Concord"

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow

Reaction score
Does anybody have this clone or its photo? Is it really multifloral and can be considered as var. regnieri? Found nothing about this clone in the Internet. :confused:

Does anybody have this clone or its photo? Is it really multifloral and can be considered as var. regnieri? Found nothing about this clone in the Internet. :confused:

It is fairly common for even "off the shelf" concolors to have two to three flowers per inflorescence. Or at least I though so? Ours usually bloom with 3 per spike. Please elaborate so I can re-evaluate my understanding of this species and its varieties. Cheers!

-Ernie

It is fairly common for even "off the shelf" concolors to have two to three flowers per inflorescence.
-Ernie
You are very lucky, or it is me, who is very unlucky. At the moment I have one concolor (Spotty x Duddley Ott AM/AOS). It bloomed for me last year and had one flower. But may be it will improve next year. Anyway, quite many of my friends have concolors with two flowers per inforescence. I haven't seen three flowers yet (I don't count photos from Internet).

So, why am I looking for Concord? I'm thinking of buying concolor var. regnieri, which is believed to have up to 4-5 flowers per spike. The particular cross I'm thinking about is Concord x Banana Splash. We discussed this var. at russian-language forum and I've been told that var. regnieri with 4-5 flowers doesn't exist at all and it is the point of view of the most experienced slipper orchid growers in the world. Also, the same person told me that Concord x Banana Splash can't be var. regnieri, because the parents are not var.regnieri. And these words made me feel a bit uncomfortable.... From one side, these are the words of the one of the most experienced slipper growers in Russia. From another side, I did see the photos of the concolor with 4 flowers per inforescence in the Internet and I did find that the selfings of Banana Splash had been selling by Orchid Inn as var. regnieri few years ago.

So, now I'm dying to know:
1) Is var. regnieri with 4-5 flowers a myth and photoshoped photos from Internet? Or is it a reality?

2) Can the cross Concord x Banana Splash be considered as var. regnieri and is it geneticaly able to produce 4-5 flowers per inforescence?

Any info on this subject will be highly appreciated.

P.S. Yes, I made a mistake in my first post. I said multifloral, because I was thinking about this subject too much and therefore forgot that concolors with 2 and 3 flowers also exist, not just with 1, 4 or 5. :crazy:

228.jpg

This is Paph. concolor 'Quatre' which we have owned for around 25 years now, and it flowers with four flowers per inflorescence. It is a "jungle" plant. Sorry about the photo quality, it was taken a long time ago when 1.5 megapixels was state of the art, and I assure it is is not photoshopped. As far as your "var. regnieri", I do not believe it to be a valid designation. But yes, at least one four flowered concolor does exist.

I have one that has bloomed with 3 flowers on it first blooming. I have not rebloomed it though. I just double checked the tag and it is only listed as Paph concolor, so I don't know what the parent were. Now if I could just rebloom the dang thing!

Craig

on concolor var regnierii;
in order for a seedling to be considered concolor var regnierii BOTH parents must be concolor var regnierii. If one parent is of a different race, then the offspring are simply Paph concolor of mixed genetic origin.

the var regnierii is an old name, from the 19th century, I do not think today it is considered a valid name. In those days often a variety name was given in the same manner that today we give individual clones names. Then as the nomenclature was later cleaned up some of the clonal names were mistakenly retained as if they represented geographic races. Do you have collection location information for where the var regnierii would have been collected from? If you can't find collection location data it is probably not a currently valid designation.
Leo

Do you have collection location information for where the var regnierii would have been collected from? If you can't find collection location data it is probably not a currently valid designation.
Leo

I checked the 'Slipper Orchids of Vietnam' by Averyanov and this is what he says: Description:....... Inflorescence 1-2 (3) flowered...... Guillaumin (1924, 1934) recognized two varieties of Paph. concolor in Vietnam: var. regieri Rchb.f. from near Saigon with inflorescences of four to five deep yellow flowers with large petals; and var. tonkinense....... The former is deeply suspicious. Nobody has seen concolor with 4-5 flowers in nature. If such a plant really ever existed in the Ho Chi Minh city (Saigon) area it would certainly have been known to commercial collectors years ago. We have no heard about any such orchid. .......

Mystery... there are pictures in the Internet, but 'nobody heard'.... :confused:

And regarding the specific cross I'm interested in.... As far as I understood it is impossible now to trace the genetic of its parents for sure... Sad...

the var regnierii is an old name, from the 19th century, I do not think today it is considered a valid name. In those days often a variety name was given in the same manner that today we give individual clones names. Then as the nomenclature was later cleaned up some of the clonal names were mistakenly retained as if they represented geographic races.
Leo

Trust him on this... he was there. :rollhappy: Just kidding Chief!!! My thoughts are the same, but I'm not quite the historian as my fellow Chicagoan.

-Steve Jobs (Ernie)

I paid a terrible price for the 'history lessons' - I lived it. (but I'm not as OLD as Bob Wellenstein:poke: - just teasing my friend) Damn, I spent all my money on wine, wiskey & slippers - the rest I spent foolishly. I did start in orchids as a teenager, so even though I am far from the oldest on the forum, it sometimes seems that way.

Shadow - I would trust the quote froim Averyanov, he is careful in his research. If he says the record for concolor var. regnierii is suspect, then go with his judgement. Averyanov has searched Vietnam for years, if anyone could have found it he would have.

Cheers
Leo

I just bought a Paph. concolor var. longipetalum. Not sure if it's a true taxon or one of the trade varieties, but it certainly is distinctive! I have some pix of one of its sibs and hope to post them when I get back to Chi-town.

-Ernie

I personally have not done the research on this variety of regnierii yet, but my father listed it as so because he claims to have read that the foliage color (more white and silver tones than normal) matched the description of regnierii. Again, I have no idea if he's right as I have not looked into this myself.

What I can tell you about the 'Concord' x 'Banana Splash' is that they have been producing fairly flat and open flowers, which to me are desireable for breeding with, and so far they have all been producing 1 flower.

The cross we had that was producing up to 4 buds was the 'Tree Branch' x '4th of July', which I'm quite certain we only have about 3 plants left of. 'Tree Branch' is a wild concolor we have had for 20+ years in our collection, similar to what Bob has had. Any sib cross or hybrid with 'Tree Branch' used grows like a weed. It's the most vigorous brachy I've ever seen with the original plant clumping up to 20+ growths (which sadly, just got divided up because one of our employees didn't realize we were keeping it a specimen). The good news is now we have more of it!

Hopefully this info will be of some help!

Jason

I just bought a Paph. concolor var. longipetalum. Not sure if it's a true taxon or one of the trade varieties, but it certainly is distinctive! I have some pix of one of its sibs and hope to post them when I get back to Chi-town.

-Ernie

Yes, I saw one of these this weekend. First time I had ever seen one in the flesh. I was quite impressed and quickly went and bought biggest one for sale at the show.
Kyle

Kyle,

You didn't get the biggest one. I did. :) I got a sweet one and it made it back fine. As did the centerpiece I won at the banquet. :) My wife loves it. I got patted down at customs and security and held up the line as they investigated my take, but people were quite interested when I pulled out this gorgeous arrangement of Cymbidiums and Dendrobiums and the little concolor. Got the go ahead though no sweat. I did some investigating and I've seen the variety also listed as striatum. Thanks folks in Winnipeg for your hospitality!!! Especially to Jim Roy and his cat Pita and his excellent homemade wine, Lorne Heshka, and Garnet Ward. Cheers and will see you again!

-Ernie

Latest posts

Back