• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

looking for orchid supplies in NYC

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

pb2q

I have a friend in NYC who is looking for supplies, specifically for orchid potting mediums. Can anyone recommend a good shop in the NYC area for this kind of thing, or alternately a place nearby for mailorder? NYC forum members: where do you typically go for potting supplies, mailorder and walkin?

I've tried forum searches but I'm having a hard time filtering 'Location: New York *'. I did find a mention of The Potting Source in NJ that I'll forward to her.

Thanks very much.

Patrick

Hydroponic Garden Center in flushing
146-49 Horace Harding Blvd

The hydroponics center doesn't have to much media but they have hydroton for cheap. It's were i got my stuff from

You can also pick up general orchid mix at any HD. Theres an HD in manhattan on 23rd between 6th and 5th. I believe a couple of stores down from the best buy there.

There's also this place in Westbury, if you're looking to take a quick trip somewhere

http://www.hicksnurseries.com/

Hicks has a little more of a selection than HD but a wee bit more expensive.

If you're looking for stuff online theres
http://www.kkorchid.com/

There's also other various places online you can go to like tindara, calwest and repotme

I know shipping can be expensive when ordering potting media online, but repotme.com has great stuff and they ship your order right away

There is no good shop in NYC! The owner of The Potting Source stopped shipping, so that's no good. I get my stuff from Kelly's Korner [just be warned what they say is medium sized is really Gianormous! So order smaller sized media if you're making your own mixes.

Repotme.com.........I just placed my 3rd order with them this year yesterday. YIPES!! Plus they are in MD and I am in WA. The shipping I pay is 1/4 of my order this time.....ugh!

They are the BEST.

Craig

I get my stuff from Crystal River in Fla...they are listed on the Orchid Mall, and are pretty reasonable. I checked out Repotme, but while their stuff looks good, they are very expensive and have very high S&H....for the same price, I can get triple the quantity from Crystal river. In NYC, I'd say in an emergency, just go to the nearest Petland or Petco....you can get "Reptibark", same bark chips as anywhere, just a little pricier...and cocopeat blocks. Any hardware store will have small grade perlite, sometimes decent sphagnum. Anything else though, you need mailorder. Take care, Eric

Another Kelley's buyer here.

I'd like to try RepotMe.com sometime, though. Only because I'm curious; I'm fully satisfied with Kelley's Korner.

Hi,

It may be too late to add to this thread, but...I also had a hard time looking for some good media during the spring. I found Teas Nursery in Houston, TX that had a wonderful selection of media. Check out their website: www.teasnursery.com. Also call them for the shipping, he will give you a quote. I was really happy with my order, and it was worth every penny!

C

Hello all,
I'm just back from the post office where I shipped two boxes of orchids. They were large boxes and the total for USPS Priority Mail. was $75.00 . OUCH. Point here is to make sure of shipping cost for supplies since the Post Office charges not only for weight but size of the box a $32 shipment increased to $48 because of the size. With large amount of potting mix the cost could be outrageous. Oh how I wish for the days when I could actually ship any order over $100 for free....... thanks for listening ...
Linda Frog

Hello all,
I'm just back from the post office where I shipped two boxes of orchids. They were large boxes and the total for USPS Priority Mail. was $75.00 . OUCH. Point here is to make sure of shipping cost for supplies since the Post Office charges not only for weight but size of the box a $32 shipment increased to $48 because of the size. With large amount of potting mix the cost could be outrageous. Oh how I wish for the days when I could actually ship any order over $100 for free....... thanks for listening ...
Linda Frog

Latest posts

Back