Longifolium var. Hinksianum supposedly...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Achamore

Reaction score
Bought this last year from Sue Adams in Bristol, its labelled as longifolium variety Hinksianum, but it doesn't look like any others I have seen online, nor like anything else I can think of. Any ideas? Its the first blooming since it came my way. (Sue is working on Hadrian's Wall just now, so I can't ask her any questions yet.) One photo shows a 'normal' longifolium next to it, to help give a sense of size. This guy is very small.

looks like a hybrid to me (longifolium x lindleyanum)? but what ever it is, it has amazing color!

Robert

Yeah, regardless of what it is, that is an exceptional flower. I hope you post more pics if and when it opens up and develops a little more.

I took those pics about 3 days after it opened, and now several days on the dorsal sepal still hasn't raised up further. So I think the pics already posted above show it fully open. I'll see if the next bloom does the same. Have meant to measure the petals, must try to do that tomorrow. Got distracted today by a water pipe leak under the greenhouse...

You are right this is not a hicksianum but could be an hybrid of it… ? Very interesting and unique flower and a real clue for me!

The hincksianum always give more reddish pigmentation in it’s progeny but side’s horns are kept in primary hybrids, lindleyanum and probably schlimii is involving in that cross for getting that colouration?

Is it possible to get a close up of the staminode? Thanks!

It is hard for me to imagine what cross it could be. The size is quite small, just 55mm length for those petals. The colour is intense, akin to Ainsworthii. The shape of the pouch itself is unusual. I can't trace these characteristics back to anything that makes sense. And I agree that it is not a longifolium var. hinksianum, as nothing about it is right for that. So a very real puzzle..!

I really like that unique flower…
In Phragmipedium breeding some flower comes out surprisingly different from other siblings. And more I’m looking at that flower and more I’m getting perplex trying to understand, form, feature, colour, dots and it’s staminode. They are not matching from what I use to see in my breeding experiences…

Just for fun; I will say it got a hartwegii like staminode and its labellum’s tessellation.
The pink colouration is usually from schlimii, but the petals width and colour did not match… Did the colour is from a very red kaeiteurum? If it was the case, we’ll see vestigial horns that are not present here….?
I don’t know why I’m tempting to add a third hornless species a possible klotzscheanum for the deeper colouration, the form and size too… ??? caricinum and pearcei are giving larger dots and different patterns.

Man I would like to know the parentage of that flower!

Could it be (klotzscheanum x longifolium var hinksianum) x lindleyanum ? I kind of see all 3 species in there... I kind of see longifolium in the shape of the flower (the absence of the vestigal horns may indicate that longifolium may not be a direct parent, but a possible grandparent..), the dark red color and the pouch would be explained by lindleyanum and the klotzschenaum in the background would explain the smaller plant, with grass like foliage (also the dorsal is very "klotzscheanum like").....

But I agree, it sure is a mystery plant!

Robert

Back