Longifolium: New photo set up.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shiva

Reaction score
Well, I got my new photo light kit today and tried it on my Phrag. longifolium already posted in another thread. The flowers are more green due to the higher growing temperature.

I would appreciate all comments on the picture. :)

Longifolium-1.jpg

The only problem I see is.........too many flowers!!! where in the heck did you get this beauty????:poke:

I agree with the overexposure comments. Too much light has resulted in the highlights being "blocked up." But the photo is nice and crisp.

What is your set-up like?

I love that longifolium - wonderfully grown! The picture is slightly overexposed but I don't care.

e-spice

Very nice. Yes a bit overexposed. The photo looks like it has been taken with lights which you should try and avoid. Interested in your light setup as well.

David

I agree with the overexposure comments. Too much light has resulted in the highlights being "blocked up." But the photo is nice and crisp.

What is your set-up like?

Two lights with white translucent umbrellas up front and one back light without umbrella. The fluorescent bulbs that came with the set up don't light up the scene enough so the flash filled in with too much light. I need to move to brighter bulbs and disable the internal flash on my camera. A large piece of black cloth and a white piece also came in with the set. I stapled the black cloth to a wall and I will do the same with the white cloth to the adjacent wall (one side of a corner black and the other white), which should give me two different backgrounds without having to move the lamps too much. :p

The only problem I see is.........too many flowers!!! where in the heck did you get this beauty????:poke:

It came as a division from the Montreal Botanic Garden. :D

While I acknowledge the accuracy of the overexposure comments, the photo is nearly perfect in every other respect. Wonderful composition, sharp focus. And the plant is a wonderful photography subject with all those flowers and its vitality. (And this is coming from a guy who doesn't especially care for green phrags!)

Two lights with white translucent umbrellas up front and one back light without umbrella. The fluorescent bulbs that came with the set up don't light up the scene enough so the flash filled in with too much light. I need to move to brighter bulbs and disable the internal flash on my camera.

Can you adjust the flash level on your camera?
If you can set the flash to a -(minus) exposure compensation that would probably do it. Or simply put a tissue over the flash to reduce it's strength. Even blocking half the flash with your finger can work.

Or move the lights closer to the flowers and don't use the flash. Moving the lights closer will effectively increase the intensity of light hitting the flowers.

Can you adjust the flash level on your camera?
If you can set the flash to a -(minus) exposure compensation that would probably do it. Or simply put a tissue over the flash to reduce it's strength. Even blocking half the flash with your finger can work.

Or move the lights closer to the flowers and don't use the flash. Moving the lights closer will effectively increase the intensity of light hitting the flowers.

Good ideas! Thanks!

Superb image!!! And a superb plant!

Personnally, I try to reduce contast when I take picture with black background. J'essaie de mettre du contraste dans les tons moyens et les tons pâles des fleurs en post traitement (Photoshop et Camera Raw). Question de goût, simplement! Ça permet de mettre en relief le détails des fleurs plus pâles. Il y a d'autres façons de faire, bien sûr.

For temperature color: I often adjust temperature color in Carmera Raw or I measure the white balance with a white card. But if you a several source of light (tungstem with fluo), it is not easy to get the "good" measurement.

Are you using the RAW file (NEF for Nikon)? It is sometimes rather easy to "recover" the hight lights.

it's generally not bad excepting the already mentioned overexposure. if you set your camera to manual exposure and just keep firing and re-adjusting you can end up at one that will eliminate the extra light (by higher shutter speed or closing the iris). though black backgrounds can result in dramatic images, if you are using flash I have discovered it is much more difficult for the auto exposure on a camera to meter properly even with spot metering. since the background is black the camera thinks it needs to pump out more light. if you can limit the light to a constant source and use manual exposure then you can take a range of pictures which you can see before taking, whether or not it will be too bright or not. hard to do with flash since you can't 'see' how much light the flash will have or tell if it's enough/too much while taking the picture.

you have to be careful mixing different light sources, because as I've found out taking pictures of our local orchid shows, you can end up having 'shadows' on the flowers/plants of different colors, which you won't be able to edit out of the picture and it will look funky. if you happened to look at pictures i've taken of flowers at our shows, you can often see funny colors here and there that are because there are portable halogen spot lights on tables, portable fluorescent and tungsten fixtures/bulbs mixed together pointing at the table in addition to the overhead tungsten lights in the ceiling at the nature center, in addition to natural light skylights over the room and the occasional flash that I might use on my camera. can end up with an odd mix of colors

also, if you move the camera to one side a little more, you can see more of the sides of the flower pouches, and if from above a little more you can see some of the detail of the inside of the pouches a little more and possibly some of the detail around the opening of the pouch (just thoughts)

Tack sharp.

While you experiment with exposure, perhaps just for fun, you could take that path towards HDR and let me know how its done in post processing.:confused: :D

Sorry Clark! You'll have to explain that to me in the 101 version! My only digital camera is a small Canon. I have a good Nikon reflex but it's not digital. I'll experiment with it when I understand all I can do with the Canon.

This is as far as I got.

HDR- starts with taking 3 photos of exactly the same thing. Tripod needed. Subject(s) motionless.
3 photos- 1 overexposed, 1 equally underexposed, 1 perfect exposure.
Somehow these are combined, layered, filtered, blah blah blah.
Hopefully Santa wll stop by and walk me through this.
There is a single photo on the web that is pulling me towards this technique.I'll share when I find it. Makes my eyes melt.

Thanks Clark, but that's way too fancy for me or my camera equipment. That's sounds like professional stuff. Hope Santa can hear you.

Thanks everyone for the tips. :clap:
I've got a lot of experimentation to do to coax the most of my new lighthing system and cameras. Lots of fun ahead to chase away the dreary winter months. And your still welcome to make comments when I post more photos. Now, what I need is more flowers. :rolleyes:

Michel

Latest posts

Back