Long-lived Doctor Jack

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamprad

Memphis Orchid Society
Reaction score
Last Fall, my Doctor Jack (niveum x concolor) produced two blooms. I took this photo on November 25th, the second bloom had been open for several days (not sure of the exact date it opened). This second bloom finally withered and fell off on April 20th, after having been open for approximately 5 months. I find it extremely amazing that this cheerful little flower stayed open for approximately 150 days. Anyone have a similar experience?

2069803349_7393def81a.jpg

My supebiens bloomed for about 3 months. I thought that was long, so 5 months is amazing. Which species/hybrid has the most long lasting flowers? What's the record?

Yes, I had been selling a batch of seedlings of this cross a few days back. I kept a couple of Dr. Jacks, and one in particular is quite long lasting. This is one of the things I love about Paphs, especially Maudiae and a few of the other primaries can really last.
Leo

Nice shape, but I don't remember it being pink. White, I think.
I've had some Paphs last for 4 months, but not 5 that I recall. That's great!

Dot, you're right, it isn't pink, that is just my poor photography. Here is another photo of the two, taken about 2 months later, that is more true to color.
2211427142_a7fe1a6e52_b.jpg

That is amazing, especially as I have found that brachy's tend to produce shorter lived blooms than other paphs (longer than the cochlo's and parvi's, but less than barbata or insigne types). My longest lived species was an urbanianum that lasted about 3.5 months...I have had hybrids (complex and Maudiae) that lasted as long, maybe a week or two longer. Take care, Eric

I think it looks good in pink.
I have had a complex paph. last for around 3 months. But I breed with most of my paphs so the flowers tend to wilt after 1-2 months. I have a haynaldianum flower that is going on 2 months.

Tom

Latest posts

Back