London Orchid Show

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakkai

Reaction score
Here are some of the photos from the RHS London Orchid Show last weekend.

This one won best species grown by an amateur:

One of the Paph. vietnamense:

A display of vietnamense with HCM:

hangianum on the left, with armeniacum on the right, and their hybrid, Wössner China Moon, in the middle:

A close up of that Wössner China Moon:

And close ups of those hangianums:

Saint Swithin x malipoense:

Benedikt (Saint Swithin x vietnamense):

And a hybrid that I liked, but wasn't labelled!!

Thanks very much! (I love your photography, so your comment means a lot!)

I think that was a great way of showcasing the hybrid. You can see just how much of an improvement it is from both of its parents. Quite educational.

Very beautiful plants!!! Nice photos!!!! The last one is very weird and unusual!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks for the photos! I'll take that first hangianum, please. I also like that unlabelled pink hybrid and that's a great looking Cyp.

More importantly - what did you buy :D

Thanks very much! (I love your photography, so your comment means a lot!)

I think that was a great way of showcasing the hybrid. You can see just how much of an improvement it is from both of its parents. Quite educational.

I like the way they show the hybrid w/ both the parents also.
Wossner China Moon is definitely an improvement from armeniacum.
However , I don't think it is an improvement of hangianum, hangianum can hold its own ground in the beauty contest with its hybrid. What happen in this case is all three hangianum flowers are no longer at their peak blooming. you can tell that the petals' edges as well as the texture of the flowers already are wilted, the pouches are no longer smooth & full.
One can only imagine how beautiful they must be in full bloom.

Last edited:
I got....

and

and a few Lepanthes.

The only slipper I got was a kalinae.

Ok, wow, what Is that first crazy looking thing, and what growing conditions does it need? I want one, it's just too weird to pass up! :)

awesome Cyp formosanum. That one looks fairly compact (I saw some photos of some very compact versions of this species on google)
...the more I see this species the more I want one

The name depends on which source you go by, unfortunately! I knew this one as Pleurothallis ornata (Syn. Effusiella ornata Luer 2007 or Stelis ornata (Rchb. f.) Pridgeon & M.W. Chase 2001). But IOSPE doesn't have the photo I would expect under that name:
http://www.orchidspecies.com/stelornata.htm

Instead (and as the plant was labelled) it is listed as:
http://www.orchidspecies.com/pleurschiedei.htm

However, at Pleurothallids.com, they do have this as Pl. ornata:
http://www.pleurothallids.com/effusiella_ornata.htm
(syn. Effusiella ornata)

So, lots of names to look under!! I actually got this one from a German nursery.

I am growing it in intermediate temps, about 1500-2000 fc., and misted daily (and more often once it warms up in summer) as it is mounted.

The top one is a scaphosepalum, the lower pleuro is known alternately as schiedei or ornata, the little tassles move in the breeze. The scaphos are mostly sequntial blooming and I've seen some that had bloomed 30+ on a growth. Thanx for sharing.

Shannan, very nice shots... I see you had fun at the show :) where did you get those lovely minis? Kopf?

Nice hangianums. The last on is neat too as you said. haynaldianum x niveum maybe?

-Ernie

Latest posts

Back