Local orchid show - the paphs

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
A recent show was organized by my local orchid society to raise funds for a haemodialysis centre..The only orchids with pouches there were paphs.. no phrags available in Malaysia, as far as i know... The number of paphs entered was rather measly though..Usually, one gets to see more paphs during May/June... But this is the first time for me to see some paphs in person..:p
Ok, enough talking.. Here they are..!
A dark Maudiae-type hybrid.. this one has very good shape.. pity the dorsal has not opened fully yet...
IMG_1361.jpg

A Harold Koopowitz (roth x malipoense).. :drool: this was blooming on a single growth..the size of the flower overwhelmed the plant..
IMG_1359.jpg

a fairrieanum-influenced barbata hybrid.. the actual colour is rather dark, with flash, the red colour is brought out..
IMG_1356.jpg

An exul with 4 flowers...
IMG_1346.jpg

an unknown hybrid.. looks similar to Iantha Stage (roth x suk) or Recovery (phil x suk), but I don't think so.. might it be (suk x glanduliferum)?
IMG_1343.jpg

The 3rd photo, I would think it is gratrixianum, not exul....but I am not so sure.

Wow, what giant sized plants! [I shouldn't talk about anyone else's photos!] Thanx for sharing. Maybe we should send you some Phrags so you can win some awards! :D

They are all beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

I love the Harold Koopowitz. I have a large plant that dosen't know it is supposed to bloom. It thinks it is a green 'foliage' plant. I have tried everything, right now it is under HPS light but only grows more foliage.

I paid $75.00 for that bugger 9/19/05. Is it hopeless?

They are all beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
I love the Harold Koopowitz. I have a large plant that dosen't know it is supposed to bloom. It thinks it is a green 'foliage' plant. I have tried everything, right now it is under HPS light but only grows more foliage.
I paid $75.00 for that bugger 9/19/05. Is it hopeless?

That's a good question! Please tell us your experiences with HK!
Last spring there was a MOC show in our area & a vendor had easily 1/2 doz. HK's that were all multiple growths plants, they looked great but the one thing that I noticed was none of them had an evidence of previously blooming. I thought I had read on these forums that it can be a stinker to bloom. I passed on one, I have Hideki Okuyama (mal x gardineri) instead. I got it in Aug. It has 5 growths, 1 of which was in spike. It opened 9/1 and Thanksgiving weekend I removed the last flower & put it back in the GH. It now has 2 more growths in spike! One can see why I'd highly recommend this cross!

Latest posts

Back