Live sphagnum moss for paphs

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a small Phrag longifolium I saved by putting it in live Sphagnum to root. Now I have put a few other things in there to grow roots and so far so good.

Two species I find difficult from flask are hangianum and anitum (and adductum), has anyone tried these in live sphagnum? I am desperate to find something which will improve my success with these two.
Does anyone know of any sphagnum species in southern Africa, and if so, where to find them?

First: I appreciate Hardy's work a lot, and this is a great thread about Sphagnum!

But, I recently got several Sophronitis and Phals in Sphagnum! After a few months now I checked for roots, and did not find any living!! I repotted into Orchiata, see if this will help! Again, as I already mentioned in Brabantias thread it is Imo very difficult in a larger collection ( mine is +/- 600 plants) to try different mixes esp. ones that are really different conc. retention of humidity!! Jean

I've rescued a few Phalaenopsis by repotting them in (dried) Sphagnum moss. I would love to get some live Sphagnum for my Phrags and Phaps, but Sphagnum is also very interesting in it's own right. A couple of years ago I went on a field trip to a natural habitat of our Danish Sphagnum mosses where it had been growing on a lake, maybe 10-20 meters deep. The layer of moss was so thick that you could walk on it but we had to wear wetsuits and fins. The Spaghnum was in itself a habitat of carnivorous plants and heathers, but under heavy threats from the surrounding vegetation like willows and pines.

Two species I find difficult from flask are hangianum and anitum (and adductum), has anyone tried these in live sphagnum? I am desperate to find something which will improve my success with these two.
Does anyone know of any sphagnum species in southern Africa, and if so, where to find them?

Tabletop mountain? or Kilimanjaro:rollhappy:

Yes, there is lots growing on the seeps on the Cape Fold Mountains. Probably the Drakensberg as well. Visit www.apsa.co.za and PM Biologic. He works for CNC but may be able to put you in touch with some who can help you. It is easy to grow (needs to be kept wet and cool) so you could establish a sphag bed somewhere...

Best of luck

Latest posts

Back