Little Brachy

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
This one had a messy long name on the tag.
I found out the shortened up name is Mystic Isle, which is niveum x Greyi and was registered back in 1988. I had no idea it's been around this long as I just started to see this heavily circulate the market a couple of years ago.
Greyi is godefroyae x niveum, and was registered back in 1888!

One day a step into a store in the flower district in NYC led me to buy this, my first brachy.
It was relatively cheap and already in bud/bloom, I was like what the heck, let's try some of these. haha
They had a couple tray full of these little plants with small white buds and many in open bloom.
I bought a few, and this one was the largest one in bloom out of about 40 at the store.

This is its second bloom and it took over two years to mature a growth.
Quite frustrating but it looks just like the first time.

The other ones rebloomed in much less time, and all had prettier leaves than this and smaller plant size, but the flowers were smaller, although some with better markings on the petals.

This one is exactly 7cm across. So not that big, but it was the largest of 40.
I guess that was a group of small bunch. :p

I'll try a better shot. I tried many times, but it kept coming out blurry and this is the best I could get.

image_zpsazgzf1wj.jpg

I'd rather not say and advertise them because I find them extremely rude.
I truly wish the worst for their business!!!
Seriously like drop dead. That's how rude they were.

Last time I bought from them was about two years ago and I won't ever spend a penny on them.

It is very unfortunate that two best stores for getting Paphs and where the store keepers were very polite and kind went out of business about three years ago.
Now one has been taken as a fresh cut flower store, which there are too many on that block now.
The other one has been taken by someone ( not so nice) as his second store.

The only time I go to that area now is to visit Jamali Garden, a small general garden store without living plants.
Very polite and professional.
I pick up pots, inorganic mix, and fertilizers there.

Then, this other one in Brooklyn, but that's too far.

Thank goodness for online stores!!! :)

You can get other orchids and a few slippers in Chinatown on Centre Street.

That shop along Centre st between Grand st & Howard st?
No!!!!

Well, years ago, I visited that place to buy a cymbidium pot.
It was a used pot with dirt still on the inside, but it was a nice clay pot with beautiful pattern. This kind of pot is not common in the us, I thought I would just get it and bake them in the oven before using.

I did visit a few more times whenever I was near SoHo.
They had lots of common hybrid phals and oncidiums among others, as well as bulldog Paphs. The price was normal to high, especially the bulldog.
Then I saw this shocking practice and decided to never bother come back.
They were dunking their Asian Cymbidiums in the bucket full of water.
I know that's convenient way to water plants and take less time than other options, but I was just like, ok, next!
I know this is a common practice for florists though.
I actually stopped buying from local flower shops altogether.
I am thinking eventually get rid of all but seed propagated seedlings from flask.
My fear of virus is returning as I look at this strange marks on my cattleya,
It might be my last cattleya. lol
No more phals for me, either. Except for one here and there to enjoy the flowers and toss when done. I water these in pot without having to even drain to minimize any potential virus being spread.

Latest posts

Back