Little bess and Parishii seed pod

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ioperate

Reaction score
Bess from John M

One of the 15 blooms on my Parishii looks like it pollinated with no help from me! Posting this cause I'm actually not too sure what to do with it? ie. how long to leave it on there. I have fair amount of cell culture experience and lab access so I could probably go ahead and try to grow these or maybe mail to someone?

In full bloom a little while back. For no good reason I never actually took proper photos of this beauty with both spikes open, best is this iPhone pic with my ragdoll investigating lol :eek:

Cheers

VERY nice! I see the besseae also has a side branch coming along. It likes you!

If you did not have other Paphs in bloom at the same time, then you know the capsule on the parishii is a selfing. However, if you did have other Paphs open, some little Gnat could've crossed the two. Investing all that time and money and space to grow up seedlings that have a dubious identity does seem a bit extreme; but, if you'd like to try flasking, there's no other reason not to. If you want to do green pod flasking, harvest the capsule when it's about 8 months old. If you want to do dry seed pod sowing, just let the capsule stay put until it begins to go yellow and then ultimately splits open. On average, that could be anywhere from about 10 months to 18 months after pollination. Good luck!

Both plants are absolutely beautiful! The besseae is striking. And such a big parishii, any culture tips?

The Parishii was the only slipper in bloom so I'm sure it's a selfing.

Looks like that seed pod needs to sit on there for a number of months so I have some time to decide if I want to play around with trying to propagate them. Thanks John for the info!

Not sure if I have much to offer for culture tips, been watering at 100ppm N of Klite under a 600w hortilux blue metal halide dimmed to 400 with an occasional boost of kelpmax. RH 70-80 and temps 75-77 day and 65F night. Mix is bark, perlite, charcoal for my paphs and for phrags ~40% of the mix is Aussie gold to hold more moisture.

Thanks for looking!

if it is a selfing then you should definitely do something with the seeds. looks like an incredibly vigorous plant with great flowers--definitely worthy of propagating...

Oh my gosh.....wonderful kitties! I love the flowers but the cats steal the show. (We used to have a Maine Coon and she was such a lovely girl.) I take it your two are both boys? They are fabulous!

Latest posts

Back