Linus Cyps

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have a wonderful collection! I hope to have a fraction of what you have someday! How much light do these beauties get throughout the day?

Last edited:
Now blooming: dark form Philip, Gisella (this seems to be winking out), and Sabine alba (potted).

Attachments

• FA71A4C7-9486-45A3-96B1-5463DCA2DEA8.jpeg
    FA71A4C7-9486-45A3-96B1-5463DCA2DEA8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • 6D4DBB4B-0C20-41D3-A4B8-5EDA95AE197E.jpeg
    6D4DBB4B-0C20-41D3-A4B8-5EDA95AE197E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 4B2526F6-C226-4003-8D00-7B21A9782AD5.jpeg
    4B2526F6-C226-4003-8D00-7B21A9782AD5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Yes. Watching with joy! Cyp formosana is one of the finest additions to our hardy orchid gardens. Much better behaved than its close cousin japonicum and in my opinion much prettier. In addition to its own incredible beauty, there are 10 (!) hybrids registered with it, include the second human Cyp hybrid ever registered (Promises = formosanum x acaule by Carson Whitlow). I'll be trying hybrids this year with Christian and pubescens. On the side, bloodroot is one of the best companion plants for most Cyps. The double is particularly spectacular. It doesn't spread seeds. The single can be quite prolific, so it gets a bed of its own. I am breeding them for deeper pink. I'm hoping to submit an article to Orchids journal this year including my experience surviving a trampling by tree removal operation.

Attachments

• Bloodroot700.jpg
    Bloodroot700.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 2
Ooh these fascinate me! I would love to get in to them someday if I'm situated in the right area.

Without assistance, Cyp formosana would be difficult in Montana as it is accustomed to milder winters. On the other hand, you’re in the right zone for cold growers like montanum, guttatum, and passerinum. Water requirements can be tricky.
Montanum was found all over my neighborhood and in my backyard at my last house! I watched the tiny irridescent native bees pollinate them, and I miss them a lot, haha. I wouldn't expect to be able to grow anything if I didn't already have the right climate, which I don't think I have at our current house. Sometimes I consider moving South as well, so if I do maybe I'll get some of the other types.

Montanum was found all over my neighborhood and in my backyard at my last house! I watched the tiny irridescent native bees pollinate them, and I miss them a lot, haha. I wouldn't expect to be able to grow anything if I didn't already have the right climate, which I don't think I have at our current house. Sometimes I consider moving South as well, so if I do maybe I'll get some of the other types.
Sad to no longer have them in your yard :(

Sad to no longer have them in your yard :(
I know, I wish I still lived there for that reason alone! I'm sure they still bloom on.
I went back and found some pics from that time. Watching tiny bees pollinate them (I'm assuming that's what they were doing, crawling out of the pouch up the back with a tight fit) is one of my favorite memories.Screenshot_20240408_192236_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20240408_192015_Facebook.jpg

I once had a nice small clump that was starting to do well but then one Spring, the voles dug it up and ate the buds. Anything like that ever happen to you? The lab where I bought it went out of business and never found it again (in Quebec that is)

Latest posts

Back