Linus Cyps

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This year’s formosanum starting. Maybe no flowers this year? We have a cold snap coming. Will try to protect as best I can (recommendations other than frost cloth?)

Attachments

• 644A40D5-DC8C-4868-826C-365C143BBACC.jpeg
    644A40D5-DC8C-4868-826C-365C143BBACC.jpeg
    566.2 KB · Views: 30
Styrofoam coolers? I have old coolers from when my mom got frozen meals delivered. They work wonderfully as extra insulation, as they create space between the cold and the plants. I have had to use them, as well as overturned large empty pots (the thicker the plastic the better) to protect my lilies from freezes in late May the last two springs. It looks ridiculous, and I am sure the neighbors think I am crazy, but I didn't lose any lily flowers to freeze. My sister living 3 miles away lost about 2/3rds of her lily tops, which equals 2/3rds of her lily flowers. It is no small task, as I have 50+ clumps to cover.

I have styrofoam coolers, but I think they would crush other plants (trilliums) that are adjacent.

Styrofoam coolers? I have old coolers from when my mom got frozen meals delivered. They work wonderfully as extra insulation, as they create space between the cold and the plants. I have had to use them, as well as overturned large empty pots (the thicker the plastic the better) to protect my lilies from freezes in late May the last two springs. It looks ridiculous, and I am sure the neighbors think I am crazy, but I didn't lose any lily flowers to freeze. My sister living 3 miles away lost about 2/3rds of her lily tops, which equals 2/3rds of her lily flowers. It is no small task, as I have 50+ clumps to cover.

I’ve also had luck putting about 8” of dried leaf mulch on top of sprouting shoots and then just use a leaf blower to get it off after the threat of frost is gone. Yes I would agree a styrofoam cooler is best, but I wouldn’t want to damage my Trilliums either. BTW, are those double flowered bloodroots? Looks like a lot more petals than mine, and much further along.. I have one early bird.. 3C4E9273-8EFE-4D06-A8A5-9396601A555D.jpeg

It looks like 4 of the more advanced flowers got blasted with the cold snap (turned brown). The other 4 look ok so far. I wish I saw the post on covering with leaves (I've got plenty); will do that next time with the frost cloth.

As for the bloodroots, I remember getting some from GVE, so multiplex, snow cone, Venus and Tennessee Form ( Microsoft Word - GV 2019 final.docx (epimediums.com) )

Attachments

• D7A22B05-2870-4E86-9411-46E740EEDCE4.jpeg
    D7A22B05-2870-4E86-9411-46E740EEDCE4.jpeg
    666.6 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back