Linus Cyps

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 15253 Ulla Silkens (will need to get another one, I wanted one that looked like a regular reginae and not alba)

Hi, Linus, I like your white Ulla! I think I have some that look very similar to regular reginae (I usually cull them but believe there are a couple as examples of the other look). My Ulla's are still several weeks from blooming - around June 1st usually. I will send you picks of the flowers and if there is one you like, I will send it to you this Fall. I get the "regulars", whites like this one, and white with purple spots (my personal favorites) all from single seed pods.

Ron Burch

I'm digging the Ulla Silkens. I like the whiter flowered ones, but I agree with you and Ron that the heavily spotted variations are even more appealing. I also find it fascinating that while both parents would struggle to even survive a few seasons in such a hot summer area (particularly C. flavum), this hybrid does just fine. That's a good argument for growing Cyp hybrids over the species.

Hang in there Linus. Our winter has been warmer and much
more rain than I can ever remember. Almost all of my garden
is blooming later than usual. Just an observation from a tree
nursery owner...oak tree leaves secrete tannin and a good
many perennials object.

First cyps of 2020, about 2 weeks early. C. formosanum. (Surprisingly harsh lighting at 9:30 am)
I just read this ENTIRE thread, thanks Linus. Since I have known you over the years.. very cool to see the progression from MD to VA. I am really interested in trying to grow one of these in the ground, I do have a shady back yard where I could dig out a small plot, and have started to read up, but it’s a completely different world than what I am familiar with.

It would be easy for me to buy a bunch of expensive plants to bury in a grave out back. The Gisella looks robust. For someone who is just starting off, Is there a list that you and others would recommend as a good entry point to test the waters? Do you usually do all your purchasing and planting in the fall/winter? Thanks.

also, from reading your timeline thread.. wow yes. Early spring.
- pete was here, 2020 covid19 lockdown sleepless night -

It would be easy for me to buy a bunch of expensive plants to bury in a grave out back. The Gisella looks robust. For someone who is just starting off, Is there a list that you and others would recommend as a good entry point to test the waters? Do you usually do all your purchasing and planting in the fall/winter? Thanks.

Cyp formosanum seems to be relatively easy, along with Gisella and pubescens/parviflorum. Sabine alba also does well.
As for vendors, I like Gardens at Post Hill. There are some other people who grow cyps well near you that you may be able to get plants as divisions.
Stay healthy!

Back