Linus Cyps

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 15253 Ulla Silkens (will need to get another one, I wanted one that looked like a regular reginae and not alba)

Hi, Linus, I like your white Ulla! I think I have some that look very similar to regular reginae (I usually cull them but believe there are a couple as examples of the other look). My Ulla's are still several weeks from blooming - around June 1st usually. I will send you picks of the flowers and if there is one you like, I will send it to you this Fall. I get the "regulars", whites like this one, and white with purple spots (my personal favorites) all from single seed pods.

Ron Burch

I'm digging the Ulla Silkens. I like the whiter flowered ones, but I agree with you and Ron that the heavily spotted variations are even more appealing. I also find it fascinating that while both parents would struggle to even survive a few seasons in such a hot summer area (particularly C. flavum), this hybrid does just fine. That's a good argument for growing Cyp hybrids over the species.

Hang in there Linus. Our winter has been warmer and much
more rain than I can ever remember. Almost all of my garden
is blooming later than usual. Just an observation from a tree
nursery owner...oak tree leaves secrete tannin and a good
many perennials object.

First cyps of 2020, about 2 weeks early. C. formosanum. (Surprisingly harsh lighting at 9:30 am)
I just read this ENTIRE thread, thanks Linus. Since I have known you over the years.. very cool to see the progression from MD to VA. I am really interested in trying to grow one of these in the ground, I do have a shady back yard where I could dig out a small plot, and have started to read up, but it’s a completely different world than what I am familiar with.

It would be easy for me to buy a bunch of expensive plants to bury in a grave out back. The Gisella looks robust. For someone who is just starting off, Is there a list that you and others would recommend as a good entry point to test the waters? Do you usually do all your purchasing and planting in the fall/winter? Thanks.

also, from reading your timeline thread.. wow yes. Early spring.
- pete was here, 2020 covid19 lockdown sleepless night -

It would be easy for me to buy a bunch of expensive plants to bury in a grave out back. The Gisella looks robust. For someone who is just starting off, Is there a list that you and others would recommend as a good entry point to test the waters? Do you usually do all your purchasing and planting in the fall/winter? Thanks.

Cyp formosanum seems to be relatively easy, along with Gisella and pubescens/parviflorum. Sabine alba also does well.
As for vendors, I like Gardens at Post Hill. There are some other people who grow cyps well near you that you may be able to get plants as divisions.
Stay healthy!

Latest posts

Back