Lilium catesbaei

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berthold

Reaction score
Anybody growing Lilium catesbaei?

37265483095_28d5a6563b_b.jpg

37265483165_e11a480869_b.jpg

Wow, where'd you get those? I know a couple of people who grow them and I've seen them in situ

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Nicely grown and flowered. I saw this species in the wild many times and even grew some from seed - then I moved to Japan.

I am sure Japanese will like this plant, Tom.

I have not much experience in growing this species. Is it short living and will die after flowering?
The closely related Lilium philadelphicum is also short living in my hands.

I am sure Japanese will like this plant, Tom.

I have not much experience in growing this species. Is it short living and will die after flowering?
The closely related Lilium philadelphicum is also short living in my hands.
From what I understand of the plant, it continues to grow after flowering and is a perennial in nature and in cultivation

From what I understand of the plant, it continues to grow after flowering and is a perennial in nature and in cultivation
Yes I also noticed that the plant continues growing after flowering.
But I am not sure if the mother bulb decomposes and only the scales proceed growing. So You would have 20 new little plants in the next season instead of one in flowering size.

But I am not sure if the mother bulb decomposes and only the scales proceed growing. So You would have 20 new little plants in the next season instead of one in flowering size.

Berthold, I'm not sure since I've never grown them past the first year. Apparently they flower a year after flowering if grown well, though in the wild it might take them longer. Here's a nice article about growing them: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/58032-lilium-catesbaei-grow-guide-with-pictures/

BTW, how did you grow yours? From seeds, scales or adult plants?

Just confirmed with a friend that they don't lose the original bulb after flowering but also grow new bulbs

Berthold, I'm not sure since I've never grown them past the first year. Apparently they flower a year after flowering if grown well, though in the wild it might take them longer. Here's a nice article about growing them: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/58032-lilium-catesbaei-grow-guide-with-pictures/

BTW, how did you grow yours? From seeds, scales or adult plants?

Thanks, Tom.
I grow mine from adult bulbs I got in spring (from Alabama I think).
My substrate is wet peat-sand (90-10, 50-50 and 10-90) in pots. 50-50 mixture seems to be the best under my conditions.

Just confirmed with a friend that they don't lose the original bulb after flowering but also grow new bulbs

O.K., fine, thanks.

Not using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back