Light per Species - New Years Eve Query

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masaccio

Reaction score
I’ve been flummoxed by contrary opinions concerning the degrees of light intensity for various paph species (and in-kind crosses). I thought it might be fun to solicit everyone’s opinion of where these species (the ones I incidentally happen to own) fall in the intensity continuum. All fun aside, I could use the help. For example, for strapleaf complex paphs, I’ve read that they need higher light, and lower light. A little frustrating. I usually settle on neither.
So where would you rate these species’ light requirements, in relation to each other? Let’s use a simple range of 1-3. “1” being the lowest and “3” being the highest. New Year’s Eve fun(?) Well it is for me. Happy New Year ! We need one.

Paph. haynaldianum
Paph.strapleaf complex
Paph.hookerae
Paph.volunteanum
Paph.charlesworthii
Paph. Prince Edward of York (sanderianum x rothschildianum)
Paph.gratrixianum
Paph. Ho Chi Minh (vietnamense x delanatii)
Paph. Angel Hair (Saint Swithin x sanderianum)
Paph. fairieanum
Paph. niveum
Paph. micranthum
Paph. stonei
Paph. lowii
Paph. Lady Rothschild (Lady Isabel x rothschildianum)

A consideration for advice you read: Where is the advisor living? If they live in lower light region or higher light, it gives clue to what they are thinking
Ray has best approach, initially make them all the same. If it shows sign of needing less/more, then can adjust. Though likely very thin leaves will need less etc

Yes, I could be just spinning my wheels, I suppose. I thought it might be interesting to get several growers' ideas to compare where they agree and where they diverge. For me, I'm going through Braem-Baker and Lance Birk. I mean, yes, most are around the middle-middle range. I'd be interested in knowing those that are noted for being more light tolerant and those that are less light tolerant.

Latest posts

Back