liemianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome!
I have yet to get one of these for some reason

Could you post a picture of the upper and lower leaf surfaces please?

-Ernie

goldenrose, your liemianum has mottled leaves, so i think it might be closer to victoria-regina... but then, the flower has the white 'halo'... in comparison, my liemianum does not have mottled leaves, and the plant is smaller... what do you think, guys? is victoria-regina var. liemianum the same as liemianum?

goldenrose, your liemianum has mottled leaves, so i think it might be closer to victoria-regina... but then, the flower has the white 'halo'... in comparison, my liemianum does not have mottled leaves, and the plant is smaller... what do you think, guys? is victoria-regina var. liemianum the same as liemianum?

Pardon me, shouldn't they have red mottled leaf?

It struck me a bit strange when I saw the tag & it read victoria-regina var. liemianum. I always thought they were seperate species. This plant is from Orchids Limited, maybe Dr.Rob or Jason could shed some light?

According to Lance's book - "Leaf Markings:plain to highly tesselated. Parallel lines join variable marking of more or less constant size.Leaf Underside:Solid gree; lightly to heavily bunched spotting with dark purple dots matching surface tesselations, sparse towards apex, heavier at base." The picture in the book includes the leaves & my plant looks like it. The flower is similar except for the pouch, mine is a bit long & pointy. The description for victoria regina is pretty much the same with the exception of - :Leaf Underside: Solid green: lightly-, to heavily- spotted with fine, dark purple dots matching surface markings." The picture is of the flower only but there is nothing fine about the markings on the underneathside of the leaves of mine. So I guess it should just be liemianum?

Pardon me, shouldn't they have red mottled leaf?
Does purple look red to you? :confused:There are different types of color blindness. OR ...... do you have victoria-mariae? Here's the description - "Leaf Margin: Smooth, undulate with distinct reddish-purple margin. Leaf Markings: Solid green, to paler green with vague pattern of webbing, parrallel lines of either a darker or lighter color. Leaf Underside: Same as surface markings." Does that fit your plant?

My 2 cents... I sorta think it's (victoria-regina X liemianum). What would that be these days... maybe Natasha von Fox (ex Salvador Dali since I, personally, consider v-r to have priority over chamberlainianum)? Both flowers and leaves have characteristics of both species. glaucophyllum, victoria-regina, and liemianum can *all* have white or creamy white halos on the dorsal sepal, but this trait is most significant in liemianum. The dark color at the dorsal sepal base, the slight tendency to reflex at the dorsal base, and the attitude of the petals are victoria-regina traits. lieminaum typically has very nice, round dorsal sepal shape with no basal reflexing (but some can of course) and the petals are typically more fat and outstretched instead of longish and swooping as I see here. Dosal stripes in liemianum are usually "clean" too. liemianum, with its forest green leaves, does have some slight color mottling on the tops of the leaves and certainly has strong red markings on the underside. Yours sems to have a good bit of green mottling on top (v-r trait) and nice red underneath (liemianum trait). But the green color is more liemianum-like in shade. Sheesh. There is certainly a lot of overlap in the cochlos. Good luck with this one.

-Ernie

It struck me a bit strange when I saw the tag & it read victoria-regina var. liemianum. I always thought they were seperate species. This plant is from Orchids Limited, maybe Dr.Rob or Jason could shed some light?

According to Lance's book - "Leaf Markings:plain to highly tesselated. Parallel lines join variable marking of more or less constant size.Leaf Underside:Solid gree; lightly to heavily bunched spotting with dark purple dots matching surface tesselations, sparse towards apex, heavier at base." The picture in the book includes the leaves & my plant looks like it. The flower is similar except for the pouch, mine is a bit long & pointy. The description for victoria regina is pretty much the same with the exception of - :Leaf Underside: Solid green: lightly-, to heavily- spotted with fine, dark purple dots matching surface markings." The picture is of the flower only but there is nothing fine about the markings on the underneathside of the leaves of mine. So I guess it should just be liemianum?

Does purple look red to you? :confused:There are different types of color blindness. OR ...... do you have victoria-mariae? Here's the description - "Leaf Margin: Smooth, undulate with distinct reddish-purple margin. Leaf Markings: Solid green, to paler green with vague pattern of webbing, parrallel lines of either a darker or lighter color. Leaf Underside: Same as surface markings." Does that fit your plant?

well - i will take a few of the leaf picture to show you.....

Please do, that will be interesting!
Maybe it's me that's color blind! Ernie referred to strong red markings & to me they are no way red, they're definitely a dark purple. However the color is percieved, I think Ernie is correct, I think it's a X. V-r & L do come from the same areas & there's so little difference to me, why are they seperate? The pointy pouch is what makes me think it's got some glauco.

The "red" on the leaves is certainly a dark red-brown. Sorry if misleading. They certainly should be individual species as far as I'm concerned (but that's not worth much). Both vegetative (leaves) and floral characteristics clearly distinguish these taxa. Thing is, when they hybridize, the borders blur. There is no way your plant is a straight victoria-regina (and certainly not a glaucophyllum which has crazy distinct leaves). It certainly has strong lieminaum influence; question is if there's something else mixed in. Pass the word to your orchid society speaker person- I offer a presentation on Cochlos. ;)

-Ernie

The "red" on the leaves is certainly a dark red-brown. Sorry if misleading. They certainly should be individual species as far as I'm concerned (but that's not worth much). Both vegetative (leaves) and floral characteristics clearly distinguish these taxa. Thing is, when they hybridize, the borders blur. There is no way your plant is a straight victoria-regina (and certainly not a glaucophyllum which has crazy distinct leaves). It certainly has strong lieminaum influence; question is if there's something else mixed in. Pass the word to your orchid society speaker person- I offer a presentation on Cochlos. ;)

-Ernie

I have some doubts after much of your explainations ........ i had recently save a few Paph lieminaum.... that have a mix of the above mentions.....and i am pretty confuse what they are now....

i really must take a few shots to have your opinions
shaw

ERNIE's the man! BTW Ernie - I don't belong to a club, would love to hear you/see your presentation, are you down on the books anywhere nearby?

Goldenrose,

Looks like you're within distance of two or three orchid societies:
Illinois Orchid Society (IOS) meets at the Chicago Botanical Gardens in Glencoe, IL
Wisconsin OS meets in Milwaukee
Orchid Growers Guild meets in Madison
None of these clubs have me booked to give the Cochlo talk. I recall giving it in Madison? The IOS and I are planning something for spring 2008, talk TBD.

-Ernie

Thanks Ernie - hope you didn't go to any trouble. I am aware of the orchid societies in my area, it's just hard to juggle all that into the schedule & club's need members in order to operate, I don't want to join if I can't give back, so I do this instead!

Latest posts

Back