Leucochilum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the parents of my sib cross of my black leucochilums:

View attachment 25165View attachment 25166

Paph. leucochilum 'Black Beauty' JC/AOS (bottom pic) x Paph. leucochilum 'Freckled Pouch' (top pic).

What's interesting is that the 'black color in them are actually very dark magenta or dark brown that layers on top of each other multiple times until it looks black in certain lights and angles. That's why in this breeding line, solid 'reds' also occur.
Incredibly beautiful ! Does anyone sell flasks of these?

It's all your fault... now I'm in desperate need of leucochilum... and still no orchid show in reach!

Leslie, Popow is for a while on my screen. There are two crosses leucochillum Black Pearl x Red Dragon I had in mind...
Rudolf, Hilmar is my usual dealer when coming to Hirschstetten show, pitty it is cancelled this year. Thanks for the reminder.
And finaly there is the new list of Hengduan... my budget is not happy...

Rudolf is absolutely right in reserving the epithet 'leucochillum' for plants with flowers with an outside, exclusively unspotted pouch.

Well aware, that I'm just a humble orchid grower, in my world it would make much more sense to see them as different colour forms of godefroyae: i.e. Paph. godefroyae and Paph. godefroyae fma. leucochillum. I think, that Leslie's information about the different outcomes in breeding could be seen as supporting this assumption.

Last edited:
Thats how Thai growers differentiate the two varieties / species with common names .
And they grow in different provinces.
The pouch is not a clear characteristic.

-Naree white shoes, Chumphon (P. godefroyae)
-Naree yellow shoes, Trang Or Phangnga Nari shoes (P. godefroyae var. Leucochilum)

I think they are varieties ...................................

I do not yet have an idea as I'm just starting with Brachys. But godefroyae var leucochilum sounds reasonable...

just looked in Olaf Gruss new book . He follows Braem & Chevron and calls it godefroyae forma leucochilum.
...in my world it would make much more sense to see them as different colour forms of godefroyae: i.e. Paph. godefroyae and Paph. godefroyae fma. leucochillum. I think, that Leslie's information about the different outcomes in breeding could be seen as supporting this assumption.
I'm humbled of being in such illustrious company! :cool:

Back