leucochilum x hangianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paphiopedilum Wössner Favourite is Paph. godefroyae x Paph. hangianum.

Paphiopedilum Nathaniel's KY is Paph. leucochilum x Paph. hangianum .

The real question is which taxonomist(s) you subscribe to, as it's my understanding that some consider Paph. leucochilum to be a variety of Paph. godefroyae where as others treat them separately. It seems like the horticultural trade is more apt to accept the splitter's opinion of things (i.e. two separate and distinct species).

GuRu- It seems to suggest that they are of the same rather than two separates as it shows that leucochilum is a synonym with godefroyae f. leucochilum. Or did I miss something on that page?

GuRu- It seems to suggest that they are of the same rather than two separates as it shows that leucochilum is a synonym with godefroyae f. leucochilum. Or did I miss something on that page?
If you follow KEW Science they are splitted and two separate species (as you can see in the link in my post #3). They list Paph. godefroyae fma. leuochilum as synonym to Paph. leucochilum.

Kew splitted them in 2 species, but want we follow this decision? In truth leucochilum is nothing more than a colordorm of godefroyae with the correct name
Paphiopedilum godefroyae forma leucochilum (Rolfe) Braem & Chiron 2003 Paphiopedilum: 104; 2003

Basionym:
Cypripedium godefroyae var. leucochilum Rolfe in 'Orchid Review' 2: 145; 1894

Synonyma:
Paphiopedilum godefroyae var. leucochilum (Masters) Hallier in ‘Ann. Jard. Bot. Buitenzorg’ 14: 35; 1897
Paphiopedilum x godefroyae var. leucochilum (Masters)Braem in G. J. Braem 'Paphiopedilum': 58; 1988
Paphiopedilum leucochilum (Rolfe)Fowlie in 'Orchid Digest' 30: 110; 1975

Kew splitted them in 2 species, but want we follow this decision? In truth leucochilum is nothing more than a colordorm of godefroyae with the correct name
Paphiopedilum godefroyae forma leucochilum (Rolfe) Braem & Chiron 2003 Paphiopedilum: 104; 2003..............
Olaf, thanks for your opinion and clarification. I agree completely and I can't understand why KewScience lists them as two different species.....but I'm no taxonomist and just pointed at their classification.

Latest posts

Back