Let's look at the world.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
The world fascinates me. It's really just as simple as that. I enjoy learning about cultures, religions, anything. It should be no surprise that I am totally addicted to using Nasa WorldWind and Google Earth. Each program has strengths. I use Google Earth more often, but Nasa WorldWind has some great USGS maps and also offers views of the moon and Mars. Anyway, I thought I'd share some interesting screenshots I took from Google Earth. I can post more if you'd like.

richatmediumsc7.jpg

This is the Richat Structure. It's in the Sahara Desert of Mauritania. Originally thought to be a meteorite impact crater, it's actually a 30 mile wide eroded circular anticline.

malemaldivesmediumrt1.jpg

Malé Island, capital of the Republic of Maldives. Indian Ocean. 2/3 of the island was flooded by the tsunami of December 26, 2004.

alaskarimediumiq0.jpg

This is the Al Askaria mosque in Samarra, Iraq. It is one of the holiest places in Shi'a Islam. However, this image is a bit dated. In February of this year, the dome(and most of the complex) was destroyed in a terrorist attack.

ryugyonghotelmediumdo2.jpg

Ryugyong Hotel in Pyangyong, North Korea. What you see is the incomplete concrete shell. Construction began in 1987, but ground to a halt because Kim Jong-il has basically bankrupted the country. It has been estimated that contstruction of this monstrosity costed 2% of North Korea's GDP. Ground level shots of this thing are pretty haunting.

saudiairportmediumdw7.jpg

Just an airport in the middle of the Saudia Arabian desert.

To be totally honest, I get a little sad when I use Google Earth. It's a strange feeling. I want to go to every place I see, but I know it'll just never happen.

I've always been amazed at how clean and orderly the earth looks from on high in airplanes. These shots give me the same sense. They sort of look like abstract paintings.

there is a book, the earth from above, that takes pictures from this high above. It is a huge, huge, coffee table book and is very beautiful.

I've been looking at Iraq a lot tonight.

mosulmediumkc8.jpg

Mosul, Iraq. I love the ancient street layout. All wavy. Not a straight line to be seen.

grandemosquemediumsx0.jpg

Grande Mosque under construction in Baghdad. Shortly after the Gulf War, Saddam went on a Mosque building spree. The goal was to build a new mosque in his name in every Iraqi province.

That Richat Structure just blows my mind! I found a bunch of other images of it online. It's really impressive.

Latest posts

Back