Let the bidding begin!!!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, this auction raises some serious questions about the honesty or at least, the accuracy of the vendor's knowledge.

First of all, that photo of kovachii has been around for years and belongs to Alfredo Manrique of Peru, or, one of his Peruvian accociates. I'm a suspicious type and I'm just wondering if the seller has permission to use that photo. I hope so.

Next is the fact that the plants ship from Texas and the cross is kovachii x d'alessandroi.....which indicates that kovachii is the capsule parent. Add to that the fact that the vendor says that if you are the first person to bloom one of these plants, you get to name the cross. Only the originator of the cross can grant that permission. Just because you may bloom the first seedling doesn't automatically give you the right to name the cross, unless the originator of the cross gives you permission. So, in order for the vendor to grant that permission, he must be the originator of the cross, which begs the next question; where did he get a blooming kovachii inside the USA, in order to make this cross? So, assuming that he does not have any illegal kovachii, then we can presume this vendor imported the flasks from Peru.....Peruflora?....or, Centro de Jardineria Manrique?.....but, are either of these nurseries really going to just give away the right to name the cross, just as the vendor promises that you can do? I simply find that hard to believe.

Plus, even though d'alessandroi has long been identified as a distinct species from besseae, this vendor still calls the cross "...x besseae", which makes me wonder how much he really knows about these plants, since this fundamental lineage information is lacking accuracy.

Of course, everything could be all above board and legit; and the problem here is that the information has been poorly reported and there isn't enough information, which leaves room for lots of questions. The vendor would be wise to take a little time to revise his auction, address these issues and remove any doubt about the accuracy and legality of this offer. I know that if I was in the USA and interested in these plants, I wouldn't bid until I had more information about them and the vendor.

In time, there will be so many kovachii crosses and adult plants all over the USA, that nobody at the USDA will really care about the domestic supply anymore. However, right now, it is my impression that the "kovachii saga" is still closely monitored to identify kovachii related illegal activity.

The cross has already been named. I'm to lazy to look it up for you...
The flasks look simular to the ones used by Peruflora. I can't see the top of the flask, but they have there logo on the top.

If it has been named, it hasn't been registered. At least I can't find it on the RHS site. Anyone else want to try?

Here they are on Phragweb:

kovachii hybrids

What I don't understand is how the Eric Young foundation was able to name 2 hybrids. It implies that they made the hybrids.

Kyle

Thanks Kyle. I just found it on Orchids Limited site too. I knew I had seen it, was was stumped when I couldn't find it on RHS. The problem - dalessandroi as opposed to d'alessanroi. Peruflora's Cerila Alca, registered by Peruflora 6/11/07.

Kyle, what do you mean by the EYF naming two hybrids? Which ones?

I did find it on RHS - after changing the spelling of dalessandroi. Don't know if this is an 'update' issue, just a correct spelling of the name. I always thought there was an appostraphy (sp?), but I guess not.

Ahhh - yes that will make a difference!
There have been times I've put a grex name in the search & come up with zippo. Found out, by other means, the parentage & for the heck of it came back to RHS putting in the parents & wella - they have the grex name! They need an update or new search program!

Rest assured John M this vendor is legit. He is a long time friend and a legend in his own right. Look at any AQ for CBRs on weird South American species and you'll find David Hunt's name conected to most of them. He had been importing bare root species from south of the border since the 60's and whole selling them all over the US and beyond. He has made many,many trips to SA and has made many contacts over the years. He currently doesn't import much these days. I believe he said somebody by the name of Root was doing his flasking. I must say, he is getting up there in age and may not be up on the naming of crosses (I'm guessing)

I've gotten plants from David Hunt...used to be an importer, with a business similar to George Norris..in fact my Cym. sinense and my green Ludisia came from him...I'm glad he's still around....Eric

I do already have the cross and wouldn't bid as flasks of Pk hybrids are real pains to grow up. There is no apostrophe in the specie's dalessandroi name. And yes, I believe EYOF did make the LaVintagne cross; if not they bloomed it out and got to name it as a gift[trade?].

Latest posts

Back