Let the bidding begin!!!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will wait until the price of these guys to come down. Remember the price of besseae 15 years ago? Besides, I would rather pay more for blooming size seedlings than a flask. I am not in a hurry. I got enough plants to take care of for now.

Phrag La Vingtaine is Mem. Dick Clements x kovachii. What does this have to do with dalessandroi? This is the only registered kovachii cross from the EYOF I could find - what is the other?

The other one with a french sounding name. Again, to lazy to look it up.

It has nothing to do with dalessandroi, but I was reminded of it when I was searching for the name of the dal cross.

Its interesting because EYOF is listed as the originator and the registrant. So, it implies that they had kovachii pollen. If peruflora had given them permission to name the cross, Peruflora would be listed as the originator and EYOF as the registrant.

For instance, all the hybrids that Glenn Decker registers lists alfredo manrique as the originator.

Kyle

You're gong to have to look it up. I don't know which one you're talking about. Of all the ones I know about, only one is 'French sounding'.

You'll have to go to the RHS. Type kovachii as the pollen parent. EYOF has registered the hybrid made with sargentianum and MDC. They are listed as both the originator and the registrant.

Kyle

"Rest assured John M this vendor is legit."

Okay. Thanks. Good to know for anyone thinking of bidding. It would be nice if David Hunt added a few more details to clarify things, though.

You'll have to go to the RHS. Type kovachii as the pollen parent. EYOF has registered the hybrid made with sargentianum and MDC. They are listed as both the originator and the registrant.

Kyle

Okay, now I see it. Les Varines = kovachii x sargentianum. Why couldn't EYOF have gotten pollen, and made their own cross?

This is off-topic, so maybe talk to me off line to fill me in.

Why couldn't EYOF have gotten pollen, and made their own cross?

Transporting parts of Appendix one plants goes against the Convention. Its possible that they went through the proper channels to get the pollen - thats why its interesting.

Kyle.

Transporting parts of Appendix one plants goes against the Convention. Its possible that they went through the proper channels to get the pollen - thats why its interesting.

Kyle.

:rollhappy:
The Peruvian gov would never allow pollen to be exported. And certainly not long enough ago to set seed, grow the plant and flower it.

The Peruvian gov would never allow pollen to be exported. And certainly not long enough ago to set seed, grow the plant and flower it.

Agreed. Now, doesn't that make the whole thing...interesting?

Transporting parts of Appendix one plants goes against the Convention.

Okay, help me out here. Have these rules changed recently, or do countries interpret this differently. The Canadian info I've read says that pollen is inclued in CITES Appendix 1. Does Peru and the U.K. perhaps have different rules?

:rollhappy:

I guess I'm not very versed in orchid import/export, but can a country ban the export/import of a species regardless of the CITES rules. I think the answer is yes, but am asking anyway. Are there other examples of this?

Pollen from Appendix 1 plants is supposed to need a permit to be exported (and imported). Each country issues there own export/import permits. They also are allowed to interpret CITES in there own unique way. Lance has lots of experience dealing with the Peruvian government, and from his experience is saying it is not likely that they would allow pollen from an appendix one plant to be exported.

I'm not accusing EYOF of doing anything wrong. I just find the whole thing interesting.

Kyle

I guess I'm not very versed in orchid import/export, but can a country ban the export/import of a species regardless of the CITES rules. I think the answer is yes, but am asking anyway. Are there other examples of this?

Yes you are correct.

Peru is very protective or their biological resources. They site the case of the English botanist who smuggled rubber tree seed out of Brazil. The result was huge rubber plantations in Indonesia whose production caused the complete collapse of the rubber industry in South America.

Peru forbids the export of seed or live plants of several important plant species such as Maca and Una de Gato. The Peruvian Government has taken the position that P. kovachi is a National treasure and the profits from propagating and producing plants from it should directly benefit the people of Peru.

Peru has a complete ban on the export of wild collected orchids or parts thereof. ALL pollen of P. kovachii to date is from wild collected plants and therefore would not be allowed to be exported.

So anyone making P. kovachii crosses outside of Peru would be doing it with smuggled pollen or plants.

Latest posts

Back