Leptotes bicolor 'Lakeland'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo Schordje

wilted blossom
Reaction score
It is Leptotes bicolor time and I thought I would add mine to the mix. Back around 2001 I received a few pieces of Leptotes bicolor 'Lakeland' from Rich Jezioro who had received a CCM on the plant a few years earlier. Rich was a character, he only had a few orchids, which he grew in the window of his mobile home in Beach Park, IL. He really grew the heck out of this 'Lakeland', I believe there were over 300 flowers when it was awarded its CCM.

I mounted the pieces on cork back in 2001, and you can see the results today. It is one of the most vigorous clones of this species I've seen.

The small piece of cork
Leptotes-bicolor-April2011a.jpg

The begining, 2001
lept-bicolr-LL-2001a.jpg

lept-bicolr-LLc-2004.jpg

lept-bicolr-LLweb.jpg

Leptotes-bicolor-2a.jpg

Leptotes-bicolor-May2010a.jpg

You can see how the numbers of flowers nearly doubles every couple years.

I have a second piece of cork, a bit larger, about 8 inches long and roughly triangular. On this piece, I attached 5 little divisions. I also included a couple different Tillandsia species, because initially the cork looked bare. Now the Leptotes has crowded out most of the Tillandsia, except the Spanish moss, which I remove most of every year. Tillandsia funkiana is the foxtail growing on the back side of the mount.

Leptotes-bicolor-LL-April2011e.jpg

2011 side view
Leptotes-bicolor-LL-April2011f.jpg

2011 back of mount with Tillandsia funkiana, which will occasionally have nice orange flowers.
http://www.iosoc.com/forward-2/Other-orchids/Leptotes-bicolor-LL-April2011a.jpg[/img]

close up of the flowers
Leptotes-bicolor-LL-April2011o-best-close.jpg

This is what it looked like 3 years ago, 2008
Lept-bicolor1a.jpg

It has a lovely fragrance, especially in bright light. This clone of Leptotes is definitely a good performer.

Very, very beautiful! :drool::drool: :clap:
I have a small, small division of L.bicolor, about the same size that you had in 2001:) So... I have a hope that in 10 years it will grow to something more impressive:D

Wow! What a beautiful specimen!:drool:
Mine is the size of yours in 2001.
Since I know now what can be achived I'l try my very best....

Excellent Leo! And thanks for identifying my tagless blooming plant that I now know is Leptotes bicolor!

Stunning plants! I'm thinking of getting a few more non-slippers that I can keep in small pots and hang up, and this looks like it would be a great candidate.

Back