Lepanthes calodictyon - tiny jewel

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamlet

Reaction score
This is by far the smallest orchid in my collection, I wouldn't even called it a miniature, micro orchid would be more fitting. The leaves are 1,5 - 2cm in diameter, the flowers are about 5mm in size and look like little insects. The leaves were what attracted me to this plant first but the flowers, tiny as they are, are very interesting as well. I love this little thing!

It's very hard to take a good picture of the flower, this is the best I could do:

pb080069zkqi2.jpg

pb080071bsq5n.jpg

pb080077vgou3.jpg

pb0800840tool.jpg

Thanks for looking!

That is adorable! Normally I'm in the "bigger is better" camp but that is one micro mini that I would love to have! Thank you for those pics. :)

Beautiful close-up photos. Congratulation!
I would not call this one micro-mini but for sure it is a nice miniature species. I grow mine mainly for the foliage. It is beautiful to look at even without the flowers.

Not easy to grow or bloom either. there are hundreds of lepanthes sp but this and tenticulata are among the nicest. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the comments!

That is adorable! Normally I'm in the "bigger is better" camp but that is one micro mini that I would love to have! Thank you for those pics. :)

Usually, I'm all about big flowers too, but this little guy fascinates me. It's amazing to see how tiny the flowers are and how different the shape is compared to „conventional“ orchids. The foliage is so nice that the plant is just as attractive when not in flower, and it's so small that it hardly takes up any space. I like it so much that I'd love to get more Lepanthes species, but many of them need cooler temps, which I can't provide.

I agree with u your micro minnie is definitely a keeper!! How do you grow it?

I grow it in int. temperatures. The plant is mounted on a piece of cork with moss around the roots. The mount with the plant is inside an open glass jar on my windowsill, the bottom of the jar is filled up to about 1 1/2 inch with stones and water to keep humidity around the plant high. I spray the roots twice a day, RO water with very little fertilizer. On days where I don't have time to spray, I let the cork sit on the stones so the moss will suck up water and keep the roots wet. If I keep the water level lower than the stones, I could probably let the mount sit there and never have to spray the plant, but I'm afraid the roots will stay too wet and rot that way.

Those little bugs don't need lots of space but lots of time and care...

Stunning. Love the color of the bloom. Love the fringe and veins on the leaves.
Thanks for sharing it.

Latest posts

Back