Leopard....anyone else?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Hey, all you cool Mac users out there...anyone else upgraded yet?

How are you holding up? any trauma?

My install (clean) went well except I lost iPhoto so I am getting iLife 08 tonight in an effort to fix that.

The one thing that is really odd is that sometimes, I'm typing, and the trackpad moves me to another area on the screen and I start typing there and I have no idea why it is doing that! I recently instituted the "tap" of the trackpad to go somewhere else on the screen and I wonder if I'm tapping by accident but I don't really think so....it just happened again and my hands were no-where near the trackpad!

What is up with that? anyone know? Dot? Blake? Come on guys...unite!

(other than that and just that it's kinda complicated, I like Leopard so far, it's just taking a lot of time to get all of my prefs set up again after a clean install!)

I didn't know iPhoto wouldn't work with it:< I really don't want to get ILife, either. We're still waiting for a Filemaker Pro9 patch and one other patch that we simply must have to use it. Our business runs on FileMaker Pro and if it won't work on Leopard, then no Leopard. Supposedly the patch is due out soon and hubby has plans for a new computer with Leopard. I'd imagine we'll have it in a month.

I imagine you are doing something to the track pad that you're unaware of. It may just take a while to get used to it?

My laptop does that occasionally. It seems to happen with Word. I've not really noticed it with other applications, or in Slippertalk, for instance. It happens with use of the mouse, but even more often with the trackpad, although I rarely use the trackpad. It seems to me that I disabled some function, and that helped. I don't remember what though -- something to do with clicking the button vs. the pad.

Funny you should ask about Leopard. This past Tuesday, I ordered a new computer through our local Mac store. It will come with Leopard. I was waiting for Leopard to come out before I ordered a new Mac.

Will I upgrade my laptop and desktop (which will be transferred to the Huz' desk, replacing our very first computer, a 1994 Quadra 700 -- which still works fine!)? I don't know at this point. But probably eventually. Leopard has one feature which is very interesting: you can control other macs with Leopard from your desktop, even via the internet. At least that is what I read. I have some friends with Macs who often ask me for help when they run into problems. I would like this feature a lot!

I don't expect to get my new computer until after Thanksgiving. I wouldn't have time to transfer files, etc. until then, so there's no point in getting it before that.

Heather, please keep us updated on Leopard.

Candace, I have filemaker pro 7 and it works just fine on Leopard. Not sure about later versions.

I got iLife last night but haven't installed it yet.

I think I must be tapping the track pad while I'm typing by accident. I'll have to pay more attention and if it keeps up, turn off the track pad clicking option. Bummer though, hopefully I can retrain myself not to click while typing cause I really like the tap tap feature. :)

Filemakerpro 9 isn't compatible, without the patch. I could live without Iphoto since I use Photoshop a lot more. Unfortunately, my computer is always the guinea pig as my husband doesn't want to load anything new on his work one, without a test drive. So, if there are going to be problems, it will be on mine.

Heather, I would wait. It's very possible that since Leopard is so new that iPhoto will come out with a patch too.

Well, I'm not having much luck with iPhoto. Spent half an hour with support just now for them to tell me to uninstall it and re-install it so here I go. I may just have to switch to another photo editing program.

What else is out there besides Photoshop (which I can not afford)?
Try Photoshop Elements: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/
It's only $75. I think it has most things Photoshop has except the CMYK features, which you don't need. I see they have a free trial, also.

Latest posts

Back