Legal Status of Hangianum and Hybrids?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the matter of CITES protecting orchids. Its easy to say that people in other countries are to blame for the mass pillaging of orchids in the wild. Sure blame people in the EU, USA etc. Its bull however. I spent a decade living in SE Asian and the bulk of wild orchids are sold to locals. The internal markers for many countries like China, Thailand Malaysia etc far exceed what is exported. That said the borders in the region are so porous and CITES can do very very little to prevent flows from Vietnam to Thailand, Malaysia to Thailand, Burma, China. Its very hard to police. On top of this, it is totally legal to collect plants in China as long as they are not in national parks. So if countries dont have laws in place to protect plants internally, its not going to help much is it? The reality is unless countries really want to protect what they have, shut down the internal markets, it wont make a dent in the problem of illegal collection. Cry about exports to overseas, but its s drop in the bucket.

I am with you John M. Most governments, bureaucrats are boneheads. It would be much better to have legalised breeding programs and get grass roots movements involved in plant conservation. Hey but that would be sensible wouldnt it.

Ah well, its probably all going to be cooked with global warming soon anyway as not one gives a toss about that too it seems.

I am with you John M. Most governments, bureaucrats are boneheads. It would be much better to have legalised breeding programs and get grass roots movements involved in plant conservation. Hey but that would be sensible wouldnt it.

Ah well, its probably all going to be cooked with global warming soon anyway as not one gives a toss about that too it seems.

I think that attitude is gradually changing. Hope it is not too late.

Dot I can only hope people change their tune about global warming as all the scientific people I know say we are heading for extinction or close too it if we do not.

Brett

On the matter of CITES protecting orchids. Its easy to say that people in other countries are to blame for the mass pillaging of orchids in the wild. Sure blame people in the EU, USA etc. Its bull however. I spent a decade living in SE Asian and the bulk of wild orchids are sold to locals. The internal markers for many countries like China, Thailand Malaysia etc far exceed what is exported. That said the borders in the region are so porous and CITES can do very very little to prevent flows from Vietnam to Thailand, Malaysia to Thailand, Burma, China. Its very hard to police. On top of this, it is totally legal to collect plants in China as long as they are not in national parks. So if countries dont have laws in place to protect plants internally, its not going to help much is it? The reality is unless countries really want to protect what they have, shut down the internal markets, it wont make a dent in the problem of illegal collection. Cry about exports to overseas, but its s drop in the bucket.

Brett, I probably will agree most of what you said and observed, however, those illegally-collected wild orchids for the big "international" buyers will never show up on the daily local markets, so there are far more than just few wild orchids that are illegally coming into EU and North America each year.... regardless what CITES and local laws may or may not allow you, if you(orchid hobbyist) really care about conservation, you should never buy any illegally-collected orchids.
If you do want to import orchids, please check out the federal and state regulations carefully. Obviously we have some expert(good and bad) opinions posted here and on other threads, but do your own home-works also. Just remember, that person who gave you the "great" advice is not the one going to jail.

Neal, read my first post.
I'm curious to know if there are any "big international buyers " of Paphs in the USA. If there are, they must be eating the huge shipments. :mad:

I'm curious to know if there are any "big international buyers " of Paphs in the USA. If there are, they must be eating the huge shipments. :mad:

Although you have said a lot on "Everything", you have no clue sometimes, Eric. To begin with, I am not just talking about Paphs or just talking about what happens/happened in Asia. I am talking about all illegally collected orchids worldwide. The international demands for wild species is still strong, especially in less restricted countries. When the locals fill those orders, they just clean out one local colony to another until they're all gone. I blame this on the buyers because they are the ones who have choices and financial powers. And, I doubt all the illegally collected orchids are for commercial...they might "eat" them privately.
If you(orchid hobbyist) care about conservation, don't buy wild collected species! and while you are on vacation, please don't steal a few from the forests and try to bring them in by yourself. The custom agents are watching you and the local goverments (for example, Costa Rica) are watching you also!

BTW, how many of you still think the wild species is the only real species?
I guess some do think that way.....and I think that is one of the reasons why the wild orchids are still in such a demand.

Once again, I want to reiterate that if Perner did not take on the venture he has, I am fairly certain that every hangianum available would be without paperwork.

One thing is sure of the wild plants only the strong survive and carry those genes over n over regardless of flatness and roundness of flower, that beiing an awardable flower species plant will not survive in the wild if put there

Tom de read the canhii thread a new person who has lived in those countries explains it!!!! I don't know why you insist on saying we are the problem!!!???

Pictures of my hangianums and hybrids

51e23c0c3b218cbb1d2acb70941c7d0f.jpg

These are growing very well, all the plants have active new roots, so if one of these were put back into the wild it would probably survive

Tom de....I don't know why you insist on saying we are the problem!!!???

Well, certainly the "we" you are referring is part of the problem....There will be no supply if there is no demand! I guess you still don't get it.:rolleyes:

NYEric, I was not talking about Paph. hangianum at the beginning...Matter of fact, I had no intention to talk about Paphs. My first post was for Troy's commends on U.S. gov't agents. CITES is not perfect as I mentioned on my first post, but if there is no CITES, the "we" people will buy all the wild collected orchids without any restrictions, and guess what would happen to the wild orchid population then?

Tom, I guess you didn't read my last posting, in the canhii thread there is a guy who lives or lived in the wild collected plant regions, he breaks it down how the orchid extinction problem is happening, I'm guessing you just want to be angry annd take anger out on somebody, me beiing an easy target for you

Back