Legal Status of Hangianum and Hybrids?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
I know it's been talked about a while ago.
I just want to know what is current.
The only thing I found on AOS page seem outdated?
It says all hybrids are illegal but species itself that entered the U.S. As mature plant past 2011 ( forgot the month) is legal.
What the hell??

I know it's been talked about a while ago.
I just want to know what is current.
The only thing I found on AOS page seem outdated?
It says all hybrids are illegal but species itself that entered the U.S. As mature plant past 2011 ( forgot the month) is legal.
What the hell??

When that was written all hybrids in the USA could only have been made with illegal parents, thus they are/were illegal.

When that was written all hybrids in the USA could only have been made with illegal parents, thus they are/were illegal.

Isn't it strange that the rule which applied to orchids is more strict than the rule applied to immigration .
If anyone born in the states is an american and not an illegal alien regardless of the status of the parents then why the authorities keep insisting on oppressing these:D poor little hybrids made from flasks

It gives a group of people a wage without actually having to do anything, immigration of people actually require work. Oh the beauty of having a total bullshit govt. Job lol..

CITES isn't perfect but it does prevent some plant species from being wiped out of this planet.....most of the agents are working hard to enforce the laws and I respect that.

Last edited:
The problem is the local population pulling up whole colonies, of orchids then all them die on their marketplace floor, at least if they were able to send them here they would have a chance!!

As long as people(in Europe and N. America) are buying/importing illegal orchids, people in Asia or South America will continue collecting them illegally. If that continues, all of the slipper orchids will disappear on earth someday. Stop buying illegally-collected orchids!

N. That determination of legality is old enough that there are mature plants of both the species and it's hybrids to be legal. In a crunch an ambitious USF&G official could ask you to produce documents but ..I don't think the AOS would require them now.

The fact is orchids are sought after and as long as they are no matter what unintellegant, or uneducated or just plain ignorant of knowing that they are going extinct the local people are going to uproot whole colonies and take them to the local market, maybe a few will make it to a place where people have enough sense to keep it alive the others will die, so tom de please tell me that you are smart and understand that or get everybody on the hate bandwagon

The fact is orchids are sought after and as long as they are no matter what unintellegant, or uneducated or just plain ignorant of knowing that they are going extinct the local people are going to uproot whole colonies and take them to the local market, maybe a few will make it to a place where people have enough sense to keep it alive the others will die, so tom de please tell me that you are smart and understand that or get everybody on the hate bandwagon

The only uneducated or plain stupid ones are those who ignore the laws, buying and importing illegally-collected orchids. How many Paph. armeniacum and micranthum colonies have been wiped out in China? The first Mexipedium xerophyticum colony is gone, and the list can go on and on....Conservation is not in local people's mind. Making money is only purpose. They collect what they can and sell them on the market. Many of those illegally-collected orchids will die on the market before they sell them, and that doesn't bother them! As long as people in N.America and Europe are buying them, the locals just go out to get more until they are all gone. No demand, no supply! If you are truly smart and educated, you should understand the theory, right?.......... We don't have plenty of orchids in wild and they don't grow like weeds! Got it this time, boy?
BTW, "hate bandwagon"? You must have some chips on your shoulder!

The us is not the only place thats interested in orchids, in europe and other countries they are more lienant, I'm sure there are more species alive in our collections than in the wild, the only setback is we have been breeding for award purposes not for their survival......

I think something should be said for Holger Perner. Most of us here would not even have a hangianum or a hang hybrid if he did not take on the venture he has.

Everybody should send holger and wenging thank you emails!!!! They are truly great people!!

I consider this the great failure of CITES. There's been a ton of money spent on enforcement by all signatories to the treaty; money that should have been spent setting up propagation facilities in the countries of origin. It would have benefited the countries of origin financially, and taken pressure off the natural habitat -re: illegal collection.

Couldn't agree with you more, Tom!
Sigh~

Btw, are you the one who made the cross Jennifer Kalina ( chamberlainianum x malipoense)?
I have one plant which I think is ready to flower soon.
Can't wait!!!!

I consider this the great failure of CITES. There's been a ton of money spent on enforcement by all signatories to the treaty; money that should have been spent setting up propagation facilities in the countries of origin. It would have benefited the countries of origin financially, and taken pressure off the natural habitat -re: illegal collection.

I agree! It would be much better if a fraction of the money (that governments spend policing, prosecuting and imprisoning people), was spent on setting up labs in the countries of origin and guarding the wild colonies of highly desireable species. Unlike rare, large Mammals, most orchids can be mass produced by the hundreds of thousands by skilled technicians in a lab. There is NO need for plants to be "illegal"! Wild collonies of commercially valuable plants should be protected and managed properly. A relatively small number of seed capsules should be collected on an annual basis and local labs with skilled technicians should be contracted to grow those seeds into a saleable commodity for the world market. This way, everyone wins. The wild colonies are actively protected from poachers; keeping the number of wild plants stable and preserving gentic diversity in the natural habitat. The local human population gets to earn a living exploiting the local resource in a sustainable way and vendors and hobbyists all over the world get to enjoy owning and growing the lab produced plants, guilt free.

The whole concept of plants being "illegal" is absolutely ridiculous and it shows just how much people in government can be nothing more than a bunch of ignorant, idiot boneheads. The same rules, regulations and restrictions should NOT apply to animals and plants equally, as it does now with CITES. A single hobbyist with time and materials, as well as a laminar flow hood in his basement, could single-handedly propagate an extremely rare species by the thousands and bring it from the brink of extinction and make it very common in cultivation. That can't be done with rare and endangered animals.

Latest posts

Back