LED T8 Reflectors - Stupid question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masaccio

Reaction score
Predictably, I'm confused. Much talk I've heard about LED T8s centers around how easy and great it is to be able to retrofit T8 fluorescent reflectors for LEDs. Fine. I can do that. But (this is the stupid part) do you have to buy a fluorescent fixture and then retrofit it for LED "T8s"? Don't they have fluorescent-type reflectors already for LED T8s, if you don't happen to have old fluorescent bulb reflectors lying around to retrofit? Thanks! :confused:

Actually, as long as I'm posting about this, I'm unconvinced that the ALT T8 LEDs (sold by Orchids Limited) are anything special in terms of spectrum. They seem to have been highly engineered to withstand extreme moisture. Otherwise their specs seem rather similar to bulbs that cost a fraction of those and are available to order from Home Depot. I'm not seeing that the ALTs are specifically engineered, spectrum-wise for plant growth (even though, naturally, Orchids Limited would refer to them as "Plant Grow" lights.) Would love to hear comments about this if anyone is inclined.

I'm not sure which types of T8 LEDs, but if you are using balast free (you should), then you can make a simple fixture like this (link). You do not need a reflector if the beam angle isn't wide. There are some bulbs which imitate wide beam angle of fluorescent light. Then you should use a reflector. None of the stuff in Orchids Limited seems to be cost effective (high initial cost with low efficiency).

I have always been a loyal Orchids Limited customer and have only used ALT bulbs for the last 6+ years. I have not used the T8 tubes but I know that southernbell on this forum has used the T8 tubes in fixtures made for her by Orchids Limited with great success. The ALT bulbs are not specifically made for plants. Orchids Limited sells many more ALT bulbs and fixtures for home and commercial ventures. The engineering is really good for heat dissipation. I know that they are more expensive than some bulbs, but I have had rare failures (I have a reasonably large number of bulbs) over 6+ years. They are white with the published spectrum matching what is traditionally thought of as “natural white” or “true white”. Southernbell and I have had good success growing and blooming both Cattleyas and lower light requiring orchids such as Phals and Phrags. I do not have the expertise that Naoki has to build and customize lights and fixtures so I have been willing to pay a perhaps premium price to get a high quality light. I certainly have not shopped around everywhere to see if I could find equivalent performance for less money so I believe this must be possible. I don’t have enough years left in my life to experiment with alternative setups to see if I can get equivalent performance.

I have always been a loyal Orchids Limited customer and have only used ALT bulbs for the last 6+ years. I have not used the T8 tubes but I know that southernbell on this forum has used the T8 tubes in fixtures made for her by Orchids Limited with great success. The ALT bulbs are not specifically made for plants. Orchids Limited sells many more ALT bulbs and fixtures for home and commercial ventures. The engineering is really good for heat dissipation. I know that they are more expensive than some bulbs, but I have had rare failures (I have a reasonably large number of bulbs) over 6+ years. They are white with the published spectrum matching what is traditionally thought of as “natural white” or “true white”. Southernbell and I have had good success growing and blooming both Cattleyas and lower light requiring orchids such as Phals and Phrags. I do not have the expertise that Naoki has to build and customize lights and fixtures so I have been willing to pay a perhaps premium price to get a high quality light. I certainly have not shopped around everywhere to see if I could find equivalent performance for less money so I believe this must be possible. I don’t have enough years left in my life to experiment with alternative setups to see if I can get equivalent performance.

Okay, great. At least I'll call O.L. tomorrow and see what they suggest for my situation. I think southernbelle said that they customized fixtures for her. I'll revisit her email on this. Thanks very much for the additional detail on ALT bulbs. Knowledge in this area is a challenge to accumulate, and both you and southernbelle have been so helpful. Also good to know that you've been a satisfied O.L. customer for some time. I've used them, and am in the company of those who feel that they are pricey. On the other hand, they are still with us, after all these years, which is a good thing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back