Leaves falling off

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mross

Reaction score
Well in the world of orchids is as Roseanna, Roseannadana would say; "it's always something" My one Phap. started dropping leaves. The leaf looks mostly healthy with a slight yellowing near the base. This is new so far 3 have fallen off and I do not know why. Any ideas? Attached is a pic of the leaf.

Attachments

• orchidleaf.jpg
    orchidleaf.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 15
I agree with Ozpaph, it doesn't look like a Paph. Are they falling from the center of the plant or the base? The loss is probably some sort of rot brought on by having water sit in the crown of the plant for to long (if it's a center leaf) or stem rot (if it is a leaf from the base), especially since you say this isn't the first leaf that has fallen.

If any water became lodged in the crown area (where new leave growth pops out from the middle), or if water gets lodged in gaps or pockets between leaves, then rot/bacterial/fungal could possibly occur.

As to what the mechanism is behind that ----- not sure --- eg. that area needs oxygen? Don't know. But crown rot is known to occur like that.

Could also check the underside of leaves for any mites activity.

I agree with Ozpaph, it doesn't look like a Paph. Are they falling from the center of the plant or the base? The loss is probably some sort of rot brought on by having water sit in the crown of the plant for to long (if it's a center leaf) or stem rot (if it is a leaf from the base), especially since you say this isn't the first leaf that has fallen.
They are falling from the base. There is new growth in the center. It could be rot but does not look like any crown rot I have seen before, it's a yellowing.

Would like to give some photos, but now I just have a stump. All leaves are gone and I still do not know what it was for sure. I removed it from the other plants in case it is diseased.

Thanks for the help. This was weird. Like the plant version of covid. It was fine last Monday when I watered everything, less than a week later all the leaves fell off. It's like it went down hours after a saw the first leaf drop and the last leaf drop.

Could show pics of the stump, and the media. Also dig down into the media to assess the media ----- eg. is the media super wet? And check the roots ----- etc. Take pics of it all. Could be linked to fungal activity, which could then be linked to conditions in and around the pot. Temperature, humidity, air-flow, where the orchid is being grown etc. And also whether or not mites etc have played a role in this - eg. check all parts of the leaves ----- including the other side of them.

Latest posts

Back