Lc. Ports of Paradise ‘Emerald Isle’ FCC/AOS; Rlc. Betty Ford ‘York’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you!! I thought I’d read (don’t know where) that some need less than 12 hr days to trigger bloom, but you think 12 is sufficient? I just got 2 of Bill Goldner’s besseae flavum ‘Broadwaters’ x self seedlings. Since I killed the division of that, they should be a good test of whether it’s working now.
2! … Got a back up this time ;)

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I currently grow on south-facing windows, but I’m considering adding some supplemental lights since I’m pretty much out of space, and I’d like to try to bloom them closer to their full potential. The days get pretty short up here in New England this time of year. Your setup seems to be working great!

I get decent temperature drops at night from fall-spring, particularly near my old, drafty windows, but struggle to get much of a differential during the summer. So far it seems to be ok- since most of my plants are fall/winter bloomers, they’re usually finishing up their last growth just as the temperatures start to dip. It’s reassuring though that you’re getting such great blooms without getting down to 62.

If I’m not mistaken, it looks like you have another sheath there on the Betty Ford, so hopefully you’ll get another wave of blooms soon!
Thanks! Yes, I have another sheath there. I’m trying to nurture it, but I’m a sucker for blooms, so I move the plants in bloom upstairs to my breakfast room window so I can enjoy them. Unfortunately, it’s an eastern/southeastern exposure so I’ll have to see if the sheath has enough light to mature, especially this time of year. Will keep you posted.

Deb, I know you dislike this naming stuff and messing around with Orchid Roots, but right now, the Ports of Paradise is an Rlc because Rl digbyana as one of the parents. The Betty Ford is a straight Cattleya because purpurata in the background is now C and not L. I don’t go changing detailed commercial tags that are out of date, just the separate detailed listing of my plants. When I need to make a new tag myself with my label maker I am even leaving off the beginning stuff, so I just have Betty Ford on the tag! Genetic studies will probably keep spasmodically changing things with plants and I don’t want to chase the changes on my tags.

Deb, I know you dislike this naming stuff and messing around with Orchid Roots, but right now, the Ports of Paradise is an Rlc because Rl digbyana as one of the parents. The Betty Ford is a straight Cattleya because purpurata in the background is now C and not L. I don’t go changing detailed commercial tags that are out of date, just the separate detailed listing of my plants. When I need to make a new tag myself with my label maker I am even leaving off the beginning stuff, so I just have Betty Ford on the tag! Genetic studies will probably keep spasmodically changing things with plants and I don’t want to chase the changes on my tags.
Thanks! Yes, it’s hard enough for someone only seriously growing for about the last 4 years to figure out the intricacies of names/nomenclature without them changing what the growers’ tags say. Sabatoge 🙃. I’m kidding, but I’m one of those detailed people who wants my tags to be exactly right so it makes me a bit crazy. But, c’est la vie!
Oh, it’s not so much Orchid Roots that makes me nuts, I can maneuver that pretty well. It’s Orchid Pro that I seem to never find what’s there. I need to do the tutorial but when I want the info, I don’t want to take the time. But it is getting better and growing on me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back