Lc. Dinard 'Blue Heaven' AM/AOS 蓝色天堂

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stunning. Blooms. I love the colors. I’d call it Lavendar Blue (sing dilly, dilly) and the lip I’d call gorgeous! I must get one of these Cattleyas!!!

It doesn't look very blue in the photo???

I think that back in the 'old' days, they didn't know what the word 'blue' actually meant. There is definitely a range where 99% of regular sighted people will agree that a particular 'blue' falls into the 'blue' category - or within range of BLUE. Violet, pinky violet, purple etc. is certainly not anywhere in range of blue.

Naturally - just like fuzzy logic or borderline cases (or close to border) ----- there can be situations where the colour is undecided. But for many cases where a flower is clearly not anywhere near 'blue' ------ they shouldn't have put the word 'blue' in the name (- although, it's their choice, but a poor choice heheh).

Aside from the cultivar name (with the word blue) ------ totally agree --- beautiful and outstanding result! Very nice flowers!

Last edited:
I think that back in the 'old' days, they didn't know what the word 'blue' actually meant. There is definitely a range where 99% of regular sighted people will agree that a particular 'blue' falls into the 'blue' category - or within range of BLUE. Violet, pinky violet, purple etc. is certainly not anywhere in range of blue.

Naturally - just like fuzzy logic or borderline cases (or close to border) ----- there can be situations where the colour is undecided. But for many cases where a flower is clearly anywhere near 'blue' ------ they shouldn't have put the word 'blue' in the name (- although, it's their choice, but a poor choice heheh).

Aside from the cultivar name (with the word blue) ------ totally agree --- beautiful and outstanding result! Very nice flowers!
Mine will sometimes bloom in late winter (Feb) and the flowers will be bluer and the lip wider than now. Mine does not have the petal and sepal form of this flower, very nice.

Pd a price for my comment, eh? I’ve also been hummming Lavendar Blue in my head ever since making the comment😟

hahahaha. You really got that dilly dilly thing stuck in my head too now too!

📘💙💎🧳🐦👕

Earlier on ----- I think Ozpaph was just meaning ----- he/she should have opened proceedings with a comment about the beautiful flower, instead of starting out with a question about the colour hahaha.

Those photos are so beautiful!!!!!! Very nice captures SB! Thanks for posting them too. Very very nice to see those ones. Great shape and colours. The velvet pattern/texture is super appealing.
SP thank you, but I think your flower has nicer form. The second photo (with the name on it) was judged at the VOS show in Richmond in 2/2019 It got a red ribbon. The judges comments were that it should have more flowers (it had another, but the bud blasted) and that the petals were a bit too wavy. So they gave it a 2nd place ribbon. I was thrilled as it was the first time I had taken anything to a show. The lip on that one (Feb. bloom) was enormous and really velvety. Don’t know why it bloomed out of cycle.

SP thank you, but I think your flower has nicer form. The second photo (with the name on it) was judged at the VOS show in Richmond in 2/2019 It got a red ribbon. The judges comments were that it should have more flowers (it had another, but the bud blasted) and that the petals were a bit too wavy. So they gave it a 2nd place ribbon. I was thrilled as it was the first time I had taken anything to a show. The lip on that one (Feb. bloom) was enormous and really velvety. Don’t know why it bloomed out of cycle.

Most welcome!!! I haven't got a Dinard 'Blue Heaven' yet! ----- but from online searches, the 'Blue Heaven' does show up from at least some orchid club sites. I haven't seen 'Blue Heaven' for sale online - anywhere in Australia yet. Maybe same situation as what MM wrote. Rarer than hens teeth in Australia hehehe.

Second place is awesome. Cannot believe those criteria from those judges hahaha. Too wavey my foot. Wavy is natural and individual. The deep colour velvety lip is so nice. That is like orchid royalty!

Latest posts

Back