Lc. Dinard 'Blue Heaven' AM/AOS 蓝色天堂

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most welcome!!! I haven't got a Dinard 'Blue Heaven' yet! ----- but from online searches, the 'Blue Heaven' does show up from at least some orchid club sites. I haven't seen 'Blue Heaven' for sale online - anywhere in Australia yet. Maybe same situation as what MM wrote. Rarer than hens teeth in Australia hehehe.

Second place is awesome. Cannot believe those criteria from those judges hahaha. Too wavey my foot. Wavy is natural and individual. The deep colour velvety lip is so nice. That is like orchid royalty!

Most welcome!!! I haven't got a Dinard 'Blue Heaven' yet! ----- but from online searches, the 'Blue Heaven' does show up from at least some orchid club sites. I haven't seen 'Blue Heaven' for sale online - anywhere in Australia yet. Maybe same situation as what MM wrote. Rarer than hens teeth in Australia hehehe.

Second place is awesome. Cannot believe those criteria from those judges hahaha. Too wavey my foot. Wavy is natural and individual. The deep colour velvety lip is so nice. That is like orchid royalty!
Oh my, I was confused and thought I was talking to Calvin_Tiong, who posted the original photo. I’m sorry Calvin, I did not mean to hijack your thread. Your flower form is beautiful.

Oh my, I was confused and thought I was talking to Calvin_Tiong, who posted the original photo. I’m sorry Calvin, I did not mean to hijack your thread. Your flower form is beautiful.

No problem SB! I thought that was awesome how you posted more flower pics from this great cultivar. This thread is dedicated to that orchid. Good post and great pics.

Nice blooming Calvin.

There has been a lot of confusion when blue is applied to the Cattleya family (and most orchids in general).

The correct term is coerulea or coerulescens (almost blue).

This is define as a slate 'bluish' light lavender that has a grey cast over the pink tone. Imagine a pink or lavender pink sheet, and put a grey see-through paper over it and you will get the coerulea.

This tone will be viewed differently based on the light shining on it. Morning and white LEDs will make it look 'bluish' while late afternoon sun and incandescent will bring out more reds and make it look for 'pinkish'.

So depending on when and what light you use to take the photo, the camera will capture the bluish or pinkish tones.

In judging, a flower is determined to be coerulea not based on the tag, but on the grey cast that subdues the lavender color of a typical Cattleya flower.

In the case of Dinard, although not visually blue, it is considered a coerulea flower because the overall flower looks like a grey tone has been put over an otherwise pink-lavender flower. This is obvious if you put a normal lavender flower next to it.

Great post by DLE! Those guys or girls back in the past could maybe have saved head-scratching by using a word like violet or violacea hehehe. Lavendacea would be pretty good too hehehe. The people back then had such a strong desire to get a blue coloured flower - that it just seems that they mentally or psychologically fooled themselves into thinking that they really got a blue haha.

What DLE posted was great though, as it touches on how those people got to the point of putting words blue into names of violet or lavender-colour-flowered orchids.

If I could go back in time to judge those people's name making decisions ----- 'fail' ----- zero marks heheh. :D

Last edited:
Nice blooming Calvin.

There has been a lot of confusion when blue is applied to the Cattleya family (and most orchids in general).

The correct term is coerulea or coerulescens (almost blue).

This is define as a slate 'bluish' light lavender that has a grey cast over the pink tone. Imagine a pink or lavender pink sheet, and put a grey see-through paper over it and you will get the coerulea.

This tone will be viewed differently based on the light shining on it. Morning and white LEDs will make it look 'bluish' while late afternoon sun and incandescent will bring out more reds and make it look for 'pinkish'.

So depending on when and what light you use to take the photo, the camera will capture the bluish or pinkish tones.

In judging, a flower is determined to be coerulea not based on the tag, but on the grey cast that subdues the lavender color of a typical Cattleya flower.

In the case of Dinard, although not visually blue, it is considered a coerulea flower because the overall flower looks like a grey tone has been put over an otherwise pink-lavender flower. This is obvious if you put a normal lavender flower next to it.
Thanks Leslie, very informative, as always. I appreciate your level of expertise and knowledge.

Back